2D Infills with opening

02-Getting started with the modelling
shahab_nab

2D Infills with opening

Post by shahab_nab »

Hello
I am trying model an infill with an opening. I want to model it, maybe by means of equivalent bar shape elements. here is the question:
1-Is it possible to model it with equivalent "Truss" and/or "beam-column" elements?, which one is better for overall infill behavior?

2-can I use SeismoStruct's infill element for infills with opening
3- could you give me a suggestion, if it is possible?

Best Regards
Stelios_Antoniou

Re: 2D Infills with opening

Post by Stelios_Antoniou »

The best way to model an infill panel is indeed SeismoStruct's special infill panel element.

Read the infill panel class page in the program's help (accessible with F1) for details, probably you would need to have a look at some of the papers mention there. Finally, carry out a search for infill panels on the forum for further information
shahab_nab

Post by shahab_nab »

Tanke you, dear Stelios Antoniou.

undoubtedly SeismoStruct's infill model is the best, but I want to verify an old model of infills in a previous study (which use equivalent bar shape elements in above and in bottom of an opening) ,and compare it with seismo models for developing that study for various opening in infill walls.
but I have doubt about what kind of bar shape elements (beam columns or truss) should I use for it and what type of material is better for implementing?"
could you make a suggestion?

Thanke you very much sir for your guides.
Stelios_Antoniou

Post by Stelios_Antoniou »

Personally, I am not able to help on this. The 'infill panels with openings' issue is still a subject with on-going research, and since I am not an expert on the subject, I am afraid I will not be much of a help here.
I feel however that you will find answers to most of your questions after reading the aforementioned papers.
shahab_nab

Post by shahab_nab »

Thanks sir

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”