I would like to know what the difference is between these two elements :
- Inelastic displacement-based plastic hinge frame element type - infrmDBPH
and
- Elastic frame element with hinges - elfrmH
sincerely
huffte

Re: Element Classes

Post by huffte »

I believe that with the infrmDBPH element, inelastic end behavior is determined solely from the cross section properties. For the elastic frame element with hinges. explicit definition of the rotational springs is required and is completely independent of the cross section properties of the member.
Tim Huff
Doudine

Post by Doudine »

This was my understanding.
In these cases, the elastic frame element with hinges requires a deeper knowledge of advanced nonlinear modeling, and the characterization of the inelastic cross-section parameters needs special attention and time investment during the modeling process.
The infrmDBPH element remains simpler and more accessible (at least for ordinary sections).
thank you
ESTRUCTO

Post by ESTRUCTO »

Hi,

I am verifying the differences between element classes, and I have a question. ¿Can I use the elfrmH element for plastic hinges of beams and columns for a Adaptative Pushover Analysis, instead infrmFBPH or infrmDBPH? The definition is very extensive, but the user can obtain all parameters from an experimental test and the model is more realistic.

Thanks a lot.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Yes, of course you can (provided that the parameters of the hysteretic curves for the hinges are correctly calibrated).
Seismosoft Support

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”