Brick Masonry

02-Getting started with the modelling
waltergarcia

Brick Masonry

Post by waltergarcia »

Good morning!

It is possible to create windows and doors in masonry infill?
And if i can create the masonry wall in the middle of slab?
z.gronti

Re: Brick Masonry

Post by z.gronti »

Dear waltergarcia,

It is not possible to assign windows and doors to a masonry element.
According to SeismoStruct User Manual: Two nodes need to be defined for these element types, representing the end-nodes of the element, thus defining its length, position in space and direction (local axis 1). A rotation angle or a third node is required so as to define the orientation of the element's cross section (local axes 2 and 3), as described in Global and local axes system.
Hence, if you have the proper nodes and make the proper connections with the other elements, you may insert a masonry wall in the middle of the slab.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
obaidullah khan

Post by obaidullah khan »

In one of the sample models given on Seismosoft website(the three story brick masonry model) the nodes for wall sections are marked/located vertically while for spandrel section the nodes are marked horizontally. so my question is will we fallow the same criteria of nodes in modelling our masonry structures or we can locate/mark vertical nodes for spandrel section just like wall sections. Which model will be true model. and if both are true models then what will be the difference?
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear obaidullah khan

As it is written in SeismoStruct's User Manual: "Masonry spandrel section - mss. This is a section frequently adopted for the modelling of coupling beams between two wall elements.".
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
obaidullah khan

Post by obaidullah khan »

thanks for above, my question is that Is seismostruct is capable of checking the finite element model (either its RC or Masonry) i.e is there is any error in modelling or not? just like other softwares do before running the analysis.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

I am not sure that I understood what you mean. At the beginning of the analysis there is a general check of the model, before starting the execution of the actual analysis.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”