How does modelling of plastic hinges in the structures affects the modal periods?

05-Future developments & requests
Vyshnavi

How does modelling of plastic hinges in the structures affects the modal periods?

Post by Vyshnavi »

Modelled the building with the elastic frame elements. Considering the same building as the inelastic forced based plastic hinge frame element) to the model and provided the plastic hinge length as per the formula. I could find that the time periods of linear model are more compared to the nonlinear one. Providing the plastic hinges could make the building the flexible one. That would automatically make the structure with more time period than the linear model. But I could observe the opposite phenomenon in my case. Could you please suggest me the best comparative models of both linear and nonlinear models.
seismosoft

Re: How does modelling of plastic hinges in the structures affects the modal periods?

Post by seismosoft »

I all depends on the stiffness of the elastic part of the element, as well as the stiffness of the plastic hinges at the element ends. Note that in eigenvalue analysis the yield strength of the plastic hinges does not play any role.

Seismosoft Support

Return to “05-Future developments & requests”