Confined masonry wall using Crissafulli Model

02-Getting started with the modelling
saeiduv

Confined masonry wall using Crissafulli Model

Post by saeiduv »

SeismoSoft Group
with best regard

I have a question about INFILLED FRAMES (MASONRY INFILLS) EXAMPLE 1 – One storey, single bay infilled frame (Crisafulli) in CHAPTER 4. Software verifications (comparison with experimental results)

>>>>> Shear curve parameters difined as (inf shear response curve): shear bond strength = 50 kPa, friction coefficient = 0.2, maximum shear resistance = 200 kPa in the infill modelling with the FE analysis program SeismoStruct.
Whereas in experimental data of this example in the thesis of Crisafulli (1997), these values are different and are as follows:
shear bond strength = 410 kPa, friction coefficient = 0.7, maximum shear resistance = 800 kPa.

What is the connection between defined values in EXAMPLE1 and the experimental data?

Yours sincerely
seismosoft

Re: Confined masonry wall using Crissafulli Model

Post by seismosoft »

Hello saeiduv,

Which is the example that you are referring to?
During his thesis Crissafulli carried out several tests. The experimental data for the one that we included in SeismoStruct's Verification Report were sent by him.
Seismosoft Support
saeiduv

Post by saeiduv »

>>>>>>>>>>>>
as I have noticed, In Crisafulli thesis, two uint of confined masonry walls (framed masonry wall) are tested, UNIT1 and UNIT2.
According to Section 9.3.2 of this thesis, similar masonry materials have been employed in the two tested units. it led to shear strength parameters and in section 9.4.3 has been reported this shear strength parameters of used masonry materials.

now, my question is about EXAMPLE1 (One storey, single bay infilled frame in CHAPTER 4. Software verifications) refer to UNIT2 (though, It doesn't make any difference depending on the description).

What is the connection between values Shear curve parameters difined in Infill1 (CHAPTER4 Software verifications) and the experimental shear strength parameters of used masonry materials in UNIT2 in section 9.4.3?

Thanks
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Why do you say that Example 1 corresponds to Unit 2? All the tests by Crissafulli has similar 1-bay configurations.
Seismosoft Support
civil.kiani

Post by civil.kiani »

Hello
I have a same problem and I think there is a mistake in simulation of Crissafulli on Seismostrct.
How did you find properties of the infill panel?
for e.x in your model, Shear curve parameters were defined as : shear bond strength = 50, friction coefficient = 0.2, maximum shear resistance = 200, reduction shear factor = 1.6

But in Crissafulli's thesis (1997) in page 253, the value of these parameters are different.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Hello civil.kiani,

As explained above Crisafulli in his thesis carried out several experimental tests, not just one.
The one presented in our verification report is one of all these.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”