plastic hinge

02-Getting started with the modelling
mohamade1366

plastic hinge

Post by mohamade1366 »

Hi
excuse me I have a question please help me
How can we determine the plastic hinge (concrete)at a Time History analysis in SeismoStruct software?
Dose the stiffness reduce after formation plastic hinges ?
please help me i need to it.
huffte

Re: plastic hinge

Post by huffte »

It is difficult to decipher exactly what you are asking, mohamade1366. But I think you will find the SeismoStruct help system fairly clear on plastic hinge issues and inelastic behavior of concrete issues as well.

You may use inelastic force-based (infrmFB)or displacement-based (infrmDB) fiber elements for which the inelastic behavior is implicit in the modeling - that is, you do not have to specify any post-yield stiffness ratios or anything other than the geometry of the sections and the reinforcement pattern.

Also available are link elements which may be used to create hinge behavior, and the inelastic plastic hinge element (infrmFBPH).

There is ample discussion of each of these element type in the Help system and you should also investigate the following verification Problems:

Chapter 2, Examples 17 and 18
Chapter 4, Examples 1 and 3

Best of luck, mohamade1366.
Tim Huff
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Hi mohamade1366,

If you want to know whether a plastic hinge has formed in the structural members, you can set a curvature performance criterion with appropriate curvature values (yield or ultimate, whatever you want to monitor).

Note that the moment-curvature curves are not predefined in SeismoStruct (hence they are not bilinear), but rather they are defined during the analysis, based on the axial member load, and the stress-strain relationships of the materials of the member sections.

SeismoSoft Support Team
mohamade1366

Post by mohamade1366 »

seismosoft thanks
which one of element I have to define that the stiffness reduce after deformation plastic hinges during Time History Analysis
please help me I need to your help.
mohamade1366

Post by mohamade1366 »

huffte dear thanks can you help me more?
what element for beam and column or link? pleas help me.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Hi mohamade1366,
We suggest that you use one of the two force-based element types available in SeismoStruct. If you expect plastic deformations at the elements edges (e.g. columns or beams) then use infrmFBPH. If instead you expect large moments and inelasticity throughout the length of the member (e.g. shear walls) use the infrmFB element type.

SeismoSoft Support

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”