SeismoStruct 2021 is an award-winning Finite Elements package capable of predicting the large displacement behaviour of space frames under static or dynamic loading, taking into account both geometric nonlinearities and material inelasticity. Concrete, steel, frp and sma material models are available, together with a large library of 3D elements, such as nonlinear fibre beam-column element, nonlinear truss element, nonlinear infill panel element, nonlinear masonry elements, nonlinear link elements, etc., that may be used with a wide variety of pre-defined steel, concrete and composite section configurations. The program has been extensively quality-checked and validated, as described in its Verification Report. Some of the more important features of SeismoStruct are summarised in what follows:
- Completely visual interface. No input or configuration files, programming scripts or any other time-consuming and complex text editing requirements.
- Significantly faster analyses with the new parallel processing capabilities and a new sparse/profile solver.
- Full integration with the Windows environment. Input data created in spreadsheet programs, such as Microsoft Excel, may be pasted to the SeismoStruct input tables, for easier pre-processing. Conversely, all information visible within the graphical interface of SeismoStruct can be copied to external software applications (e.g. to word processing programs, such as Microsoft Word), including input and output data, high quality graphs, the models’ deformed and undeformed shapes and much more.
- With the Wizard facility the user can create regular/irregular 2D or 3D models and run all types of analyses on the fly. The whole process takes no more than a few seconds.
- With the Building Modeller the user can create real regular or irregular 3D reinforced concrete models within minutes and print tables containing all the model members and their characteristics.
- Easy input of infill panels and steel braces in the Building Modeller.
- New 3-sided, 2-sided and 1-sided jackets are available in the Building Modeller.
- Ten different types of analysis: response spectrum analysis, dynamic and static time-history, conventional and adaptive pushover, incremental dynamic analysis, eigenvalue, non-variable static loading, buckling analysis and tsunami nonlinear analysis.
- The applied loading may consist of constant or variable forces, displacements and accelerations at the nodes. The variable loads can vary proportionally or independently in the pseudo-time or time domain.
- The program accounts for both material inelasticity and geometric nonlinearity.
- A large variety of reinforced concrete, steel, composite and masonry sections are available.
- The spread of inelasticity along the member length and across the section depth is explicitly modelled in SeismoStruct allowing for accurate estimation of damage accumulation.
- Numerical stability and accuracy at very high strain levels enabling precise determination of the collapse load of structures.
- The innovative adaptive pushover procedure. In this pushover method the lateral load distribution is not kept constant but is continuously updated, according to the modal shapes and participation factors derived by eigenvalue analysis carried out at the current step. In this way, the stiffness state and the period elongation of the structure at each step, as well as higher mode effects, are accounted for. In particular the displacement-based variant of the method, due to its ability to update the lateral displacement patterns according to the constantly changing modal properties of the system, overcomes the inherent weaknesses of fixed-pattern displacement pushover, providing superior response estimates.
- SeismoStruct possesses the ability to smartly subdivide the loading increment, whenever convergence problems arise. The level of subdivision depends on the convergence difficulties encountered. When convergence difficulties are overcome, the program automatically increases the loading increment back to its original value.
- SeismoStruct’s processor features real-time plotting of displacement curves and deformed shape of the structure, together with the ability of pausing and re-starting the analysis.
- Features enabling easier convergence and possibility to display areas with plastic hinges or damage in 3D plot.
- Capacity checks in chord rotation and shear can be performed, according to the Eurocodes, the American Code for Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Existing Buildings (ASCE 41-17), the Italian National Seismic Codes (NTC-18 & NTC-08), the Greek Seismic Interventions Code (KANEPE) and the Turkish Seismic Evaluation Building Code (TBDY) and for all the limit states of the specified codes.
- Performance criteria can also be set, allowing the user to identify the instants at which different performance limit states (e.g. non-structural damage, structural damage, collapse) are reached. The sequence of cracking, yielding, failure of members throughout the structure can also be, in this manner readily obtained.
Advanced post-processing facilities, including the ability to custom-format all derived plots and deformed shapes, thus increasing productivity of users.
AVI movie files can be created to better illustrate the sequence of structural deformation.
- Possibility to easily create hundreds or thousands of SeismoStruct input files using the SPF creator module.
- SeismoStruct Batch module giving the ability to automatically execute numerous analyses in sequence.
- Possibility to easily send a model to Seismosoft, in the case of modeling or convergence problems, and get assistance by our team of specialists in nonlinear analysis.
Learn more about SeismoStruct features or download the free trial: