What is the difference between the pushover module and the static time-history module?

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
hshs1283

What is the difference between the pushover module and the static time-history module?

Post by hshs1283 »

When the constitutive, size, plastic hinge setting and loading mode of the structural material are completely the same, why is the force-displacement curve inconsistent when I use pushover module and static time-history module to push over the structure monotonously?
seismosoft

Re: What is the difference between the pushover module and the static time-history module?

Post by seismosoft »

The shape of the capacity curve depends also on the lateral distribution of the lateral loads, as well as whether these loads are forces or displacements.
Seismosoft Support
obaidullah khan

dynamic TH analysis

Post by obaidullah khan »

my question is that according to ASCE code elements and components shall be analyzed for (a) forces and deformations associated with 100% of the forces in the X direction plus the forces and deformations associated with 30% of the forces in the Y direction; and for (b) forces and deformations associated with 100% of the forces in the Y direction plus the forces and deformations associated with 30% of the forces in the X direction. So how can i make these combinations in seismostruct for my ground motions/time history to be apply on building?
huffte

Re: What is the difference between the pushover module and the static time-history module?

Post by huffte »

I believe if you will examine ASCE 7 closely, you will find that the 100-30-30 rule is applicable for (a) the equivalent lateral force procedure and (b) dynamic response spectrum analysis using modal superposition. When response history analysis (as opposed to response spectrum analysis) with properly selected ground motion record pairs applied simultaneously to a 3-dimensional model is used, the 100-30-30 rule is not needed. The key is to properly select and modify the record pairs, and to apply the orthogonal components of each record pair simultaneously. For further details, refer to ASCE 7-22, Section 12.5.1.2.
Tim Huff

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”