Tsunami Parameters

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
valeahrens

Tsunami Parameters

Post by valeahrens »

Good afternoon.

Do the parameters hmax and umax refer to the total maximum values of the tsunami in general, or to the maximum values in the structure?

Thank you very much.
z.gronti

Re: Tsunami Parameters

Post by z.gronti »

Dear valeahrens,

As it is written in SeismoStruct's User Manual: "ASCE 7-16 Time-Series: Depth and Velocity time series of Figure 6.8-1 of the chapter 6 of ASCE 7-16. In order to fully define the time-series, the Maximum Inundation Depth (hmax) and Flow velocity (umax) of the Maximum Considered Tsunami should be defined".
We always advice the users to read the User Manual and Help System of the programs before start using them.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
valeahrens

Post by valeahrens »

Thank you very much, but I have already read the ASCE 7-16 and it indicates in the "symbols and notation" section that "hmax = maximum inundation depth above grade plane at the structure" and "umax = maximum Tsunami flow velocity at the structure".

For the same reason I ask the question, as I want to ratify what the inputs requested by seismostruct refer to, because if they are in the structure as indicated in the standard, I do not understand why a reference elevation is requested, since, to obtain the values of hmax and umax, an Energy Line analysis must be carried out, which depends on the length of the transect and the heights at various points along it. Subsequently, the tsunami behaviour curve, both in terms of speed and depth, is obtained by means of a curve normalisation procedure.

Therefore, with the normalisation curve and the energy analysis I already have the location of the structure (indirectly) and all the necessary inputs to obtain the tsunami force.

I would like to know how the reference elevation is mathematically used in the calculation of the tsunami force, because in parallel I am doing the calculations in Excel and they are not being in agreement with each other.

Thank you very much and sorry for the inconvenience again.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

As mentioned in the help of the program the reference height is the height difference between the lowest point of the building and the zero inundation depth, and it is employed in different locations in the calculations.
Since you want to apply the ASCE 7-16 methodology, you should specify reference height=0, which effectively assumes a flat area.

Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”