Cracked or Uncracked Section Properties for Non-Linear

02-Getting started with the modelling
juansa

Cracked or Uncracked Section Properties for Non-Linear

Post by juansa »

According to ASCE 41-13, section 7.3 for the linear analysis I should use the cracked section properties for the structural members. For the non-linear analysis should I use the cracked or uncracked section properties. I didn't find any information regarding this topic in the ASCE 41-13
seismosoft

Re: Cracked or Uncracked Section Properties for Non-Linear

Post by seismosoft »

The cracked section properties are indeed employed in the linear procedures. In the nonlinear procedures instead nonlinear stress-strain or force-displacement curves are automatically employed by the program. Note also that in the static nonlinear procedure, the eigenvalue analysis, which is required for the target displacement calculation, is carried out using the linear section properties.
Seismosoft Support
juansa

Post by juansa »

Thank you for your answer. As I am using the Static Non-Linear Analysis and according to your answer I should use the uncracked section for the elements. Then the Eingervalue will be calculated using the uncrack section, is that correct?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

You can set the cracked or uncracked stiffness parameters in the Cracked Stiffness page of the program settings. These parameters only affect the linear analyses types (Eigenvalue and RSA) and play no role in the nonlinear analyses like pushover.
The fact that you should use the uncracked stiffness in eigenvalue analysis with ASCE-41 to calculate the target displacement is dictated by the NSP methodology of ASCE-41.

Seismosoft Support
smithclarkson01

Post by smithclarkson01 »

seismosoft wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 15:29 You can set the cracked or uncracked stiffness parameters in the Cracked Stiffness page of the program settings. These parameters only affect the linear analyses types (Eigenvalue and RSA) and play no role in the nonlinear analyses like pushover.
The fact that you should use the uncracked stiffness in eigenvalue analysis with ASCE-41 to calculate the target displacement is dictated by the NSP methodology of ASCE-41.

Seismosoft Support

Make sense.
smithclarkson01

Post by smithclarkson01 »

smithclarkson01 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 23:34
seismosoft wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 15:29 You can set the cracked or uncracked stiffness parameters in the Cracked Stiffness page of the program settings. These parameters only affect the linear analyses types (Eigenvalue and RSA) and play no role in the nonlinear analyses like pushover. 9Apps VidMateapk 9Appsapk

Seismosoft Support

Make sense.

No reply?
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear smithclarkson01,

Which is the question?
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”