Modelling of corner walls in URM buildings with/without rigid link constraints

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
pcandeias

Modelling of corner walls in URM buildings with/without rigid link constraints

Post by pcandeias »

Dear all,

I am working on SeismoStruct 2021 Release 3 Build 2.

I am starting to model a 3D unreinforced masonry building and I have looked again at the sample models presented in this webpage:

https://seismosoft.com/seismobuild-seis ... le-models/

I downloaded Structure_51 and Structure_53 samples and I am trying to figure out which one suits best the type of modelling I need to develop. There is one striking difference, though, for which I would like to have your comments.

Both buildings are modeled with rigid diaphragms, however the corners of the building in Structure_51 are constrained through rigid links whereas in Structure_53 there are no such constraints.

It would seem to me that (and I have checked another discussion about a T-sectioned masonry shear wall on this forum) the rigid link constraint would be required in order to make the corner wall segments work together as a single element (assuming that the interlocking at the corner is strong enough) and not as two separate perpendicular wall segments (sustaining separately loads only in the respective plane).

I think that the rigid diaphragms do not fulfill this goal.

What are your thoughts about this?

Best regards,
Paulo Candeias
seismosoft

Re: Modelling of corner walls in URM buildings with/without rigid link constraints

Post by seismosoft »

The best type of modelling (i.e., the most accurate) is done with Structure_53.zip. Structure_51.zip offers a more simplified type of modelling.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”