infill walls

02-Getting started with the modelling
by kaman

infill walls

Post by by kaman »

Hello..
I'm doing a master's degree .Now,I study to prepare a thesis. I'm examining a heavily damaged building with using Seismostructure in my thesis. The first floor of the building has infill walls with ribbon Windows. There are columns next to the windows in the infill walls So the column behaves like a short column at the time of the earthquake. I used building wizard when designing the infiil Walls .However, after the analysis, the walls had no effect on the columns and so the columns don’t behave like a short column. Is there something I'm modeling wrong or missing? Can you help me ?

https://www.hizliresim.com/sre9hi3
https://www.hizliresim.com/dpokl3m
https://www.hizliresim.com/nutunqd
by kaman

Re: infill walls

Post by by kaman »

Hi ...I examine thıs form then
I noticed the deficiency in my project...This is rigid connection ..Then I tried and
I got the result I wanted when I assigned a rigid connection with columns to the parts where there are walls in the constraints section of the preprocessor.
I think My problem is solved...
Thanks....
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Note that you can use the Building Modeller to model RC frames with infilled walls of any height. If the infill is lower than the column height, the Building Modeller automatically subdivides the column and forms the short column
Seismosoft Support
by kaman

Post by by kaman »

Thank uu..Okay I use Building Modeller and column was divided two part and formed short column ...
by kaman

Post by by kaman »

seismosoft wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 14:22 Note that you can use the Building Modeller to model RC frames with infilled walls of any height. If the infill is lower than the column height, the Building Modeller automatically subdivides the column and forms the short column
Seismosoft Support
Hi..again yes you right.. If the infill is lower than the column height, the Building Modeller automatically subdivides the column and forms the short column..And In the section in the preprocessor, the column is output as divided into two parts.But I dont want it.I want to examine my column as a single section .. How can I ?? Can you help me???
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear by kaman,

The first post you wrote was about modelling the short column. If you do not need to model the short column anymore, then you should either assign the infill in full height in the Building Modeller, so that you will get a single column in SeismoStruct, or you may delete the short columns within SeismoStruct and modify your model accordingly.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
by kaman

Post by by kaman »

I didn't want to model the short column.I wanted to show that it behaves like a short column.
I wanted to show that there is a lot of force coming to the column part in next to walls which have ribbon windows.

Yes I did.I deleted the short columns within SeismoStruct and modify my model accordingly.But the effect of the walls after analysis did not appear in those columns..
Now If Iuse link between the wall and the column, can I observe the effect?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

To the best of our knowledge, the only way to effectively model the effect of the short column is to subdivide the column in two elements, one which is close to the infill and one at the free height (i.e., the short column).
Seismosoft Support
by kaman

Post by by kaman »

Thanks you for answer and help..
by kaman

Post by by kaman »

Hi again 
I have written to you before but I wanted to remind my problem because I thought solve my problem but my advisor didn’t think……
I'm doing a master's degree .Now,I study to prepare a thesis. I'm examining a heavily damaged building with using Seismostructure in my thesis. The first floor of the building has infill walls with ribbon Windows. There are columns next to the windows in the infill walls. So the column behaves like a short column at the time of the earthquake. I used building wizard when designing the infiil Walls in my model . However, after the analysis, the walls had no effect on the columns and so the columns don’t behave like a short column. Then I try rigid connection in constraints. I got the result I wanted when I assigned a rigid connection with columns to the parts where there are walls in the constraints section of the preprocessor. But My advisor think this not true . Beacuse If we use the rigid connection, our wall can be much more rigid than the columns. But Wall is not more rigid than columns in our model. So we dont use rigid connetion. So then what should I do to show the short column effect in my model ? Is there something I'm modeling wrong or missing? If not, I'll make to create new diagonal struts in my frame. I try it .It maybe work …But I wanted create infill panel with strut and shear curves in Seismostruct.If I send you the model I made, could you examine it? Can you help me please ?....Thank u

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”