Modeling a pin connection between crossing elements

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
Hanif Nanda

Modeling a pin connection between crossing elements

Post by Hanif Nanda »

Helloo, I have a structure with pin connections (node ​​E) connected to crossing elements (BD elements and CE elements). How to modelling pin connection between crossing member like this?

z.gronti

Re: Modeling a pin connection between crossing elements

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Hanif Nanda,

If you carry out a search in this forum with the 'pinned' term, you will find a number of posts.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
Hanif Nanda

Post by Hanif Nanda »

Dear Zoi

The type of elements that I have used for my model are - infrmDB (M2a,M2b,M3a and M3b releases) and infrmDB + truss elements. The model works in eigen value. I have tried different convergence criteria referring to seismostruct video.
But none of them seems to work in adaptive pushover. What are some suggestions that you can give?

Regards
Hanif
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Hanif Nanda,

The employment of releases with inelastic elements might cause numerical instabilities. You may either use releases with elastic frame elements (elfrm) or truss elements.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
Hanif Nanda

Post by Hanif Nanda »

Dear Zoi
I've changed the element from InfrmDB to elfrm, but still not working. I read the seismostruct manual it says "There are cases where the use of an inelastic frame element is not required (e.g. members subjected to low levels of excitation and thus responding within their elastic range)." Does this mean i can't use this elemen class if I perform APO analysis until the yield limit is reached?
I also read in help seismostruct, I can use link element or constraint to model pinned joints (especially internal hinge). How to use it?

Hanif
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Using the elfrm element with releases should not cause numerical instabilities, unless the model is unstable itself. Can you run eigenvalue analysis?
Note also that the adaptive pushover with displacement loads (as in the displacement-based adaptive pushover for instance) cannot be employed with the new Sparse/Profile solver. Because the default solver option is this solver (automatically chosen with the Automatic option), if you use displacement-based adaptive pushover, please change the solver to Frontal. Note that this problem with the Automatic solver will be solved in the upcoming Release-4 of v2022.

Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”