Out of plane action

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
GoudaiHHH

Out of plane action

Post by GoudaiHHH »

Hi,
Is SeismoStruct able to model out-of-plane action? For example, my slab does not act as a rigid diaphragm so I expect panels to fall out-of-plane. Can SeismoStruct do that and how?
Thanks
seismosoft

Re: Out of plane action

Post by seismosoft »

If you mean the infill panel element type, the internal forces of the elements are all in-plane, however the infill elements are constantly checked for out-of-plane failures.
Seismosoft Support
GoudaiHHH

Post by GoudaiHHH »

Thank you. What about the masonry wall section mws? I ran it with rigid diaphragm and did not see out-of-plane failure, and when I ran it without the diaphragm, I encountered convergence problem so badly that the program could not run.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

In the masonry element there a shear curves both in the plane and the out of plane directions. The failure in the out of plane direction is modelled with the descending branch of the shear curve. Refer to the help of the program or the users manual for further details.
Note that one can also define code-based checks and performance criteria for the masonry element type (again refer to the help of the program).
Seismosoft Support
GoudaiHHH

Post by GoudaiHHH »

Does it mean I could control the effectiveness of the diaphragm action by modifying the shear property? Sorry I didn't find how to control the rigid diaphragm in the users manual. It seems it's an on-and-off thing. It can't be like 50% rigidity...
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

No, the shear property is for the masonry element, not the rigid diaphragm.
IYou may modify the rigidity of the diaphragm, if you use the Penalty Functions method (Program Settings>Constraints) and decrease the penalty functions exponent. However, it is difficult to calibrate the value of the exponent and you should probably need a trial and error process.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”