SeismoSelect vs PEER online scaling program

02-Analytical capabilities
Kirkaguel

SeismoSelect vs PEER online scaling program

Post by Kirkaguel »

It seems to me that Seismoselect program has the same features as the online FREE PEER scaling program? Is there any unique feature that Seismoselect kind of different from PEER scaling program?

Can Seismoselect also directly link to PEER ground motion database for direct selection and scaling of ground motion time series or we need to download it separately and link to Seismoselect in order the read the ground motion records?
seismosoft

Re: SeismoSelect vs PEER online scaling program

Post by seismosoft »

To be honest we have not checked how the PEER scaling works. In SeismoSelect the scaling is direct, i.e. the record (and its spectrum) is multiplied by a constant scaling factor.
Regarding the direct link to the PEER database and the automatic download of the records (as it is done with the ESM database), we have tried it, but unfortunately, this was not possible due to restrictions on the server side.
Seismosoft Support
huffte

Post by huffte »

From my experience in using the PEER online app and SeismoSelect (both excellent tools), SeismoSelect offers the following features which do not appear to be available in the PEER app:

1. multiple databases in the same application
2. scaling to intensity measures other than PSA (PGD, PGV, AI, CAV, average PSA over a range, etc.)
3. limiting of candidates to a specified number from each event
4. automatic target spectrum generation from many international codes

PEER appears to offer the user more freedom in specifying the basis of the target (RotD100, RotD50, GeoMean, SRSS, Vertical, H1, H2). SeismoSpect requires the target to be RotD50-based when the NGA-West2 database is selected.

I suppose there are others. But this is what I find thus far. I hope it helps.
Tim Huff
Kirkaguel

Post by Kirkaguel »

seismosoft wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 20:56 To be honest we have not checked how the PEER scaling works. In SeismoSelect the scaling is direct, i.e. the record (and its spectrum) is multiplied by a constant scaling factor.
Regarding the direct link to the PEER database and the automatic download of the records (as it is done with the ESM database), we have tried it, but unfortunately, this was not possible due to restrictions on the server side.
Seismosoft Support
Yes correct this is my concern because you cannot directly link to the PEER database as it requires membership log in and password so I think the only way you can use the PEER database is to download the records first then link manually to Seismoselect. Not sure about this though if it will work since I have not tried seismoselect yet.
Kirkaguel

Post by Kirkaguel »

huffte wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 05:02 From my experience in using the PEER online app and SeismoSelect (both excellent tools), SeismoSelect offers the following features which do not appear to be available in the PEER app:

1. multiple databases in the same application
2. scaling to intensity measures other than PSA (PGD, PGV, AI, CAV, average PSA over a range, etc.)
3. limiting of candidates to a specified number from each event
4. automatic target spectrum generation from many international codes

PEER appears to offer the user more freedom in specifying the basis of the target (RotD100, RotD50, GeoMean, SRSS, Vertical, H1, H2). SeismoSpect requires the target to be RotD50-based when the NGA-West2 database is selected.

I suppose there are others. But this is what I find thus far. I hope it helps.
Hi Hufftee,

Just a correction, items 1 to 4 features you mentioned are also in PEER online scaling program. PEER has more control like RJB and R rupture distances and the target spectral ordinates. Overall they are very similar,

One last clarifications to Seismoselect output if the selection parameters yield an output which bias to a certain earthquake event i.e. many results on the same earthquake is it possible to just select one or two out of the many and re process the result so that there is enough variability on the earthquake events?
huffte

Post by huffte »

Item 1. What I mean is that the NGA-West2 database is the only one available at the NGA-West2 app and the NGA-East is a separate app.

Item 2. While a user could manually scale to alternate parameters from PEER results, I don't see an option to scale to PGV, PGD, AI, CAV, at PEER. PEER scaling is based solely on PSA at a single period or over a specified period range.

Item 3. Again, of course, this may be done manually by the user at PEER, not automatically as with SeismoSelect. On the candidate records tab, SeismoSelect permits the user to specify number of records per event to which to limit the candidates.

Item 4. PEER has ASCE-type spectrum generation. SeismoSelect has generation from 28 different international codes.
Tim Huff
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Thanks for the clarifications Tim, and thanks for the remarks Kirkaguel,

I note also that one very important characteristic of SeismoSelect is the use of a greedy type of algorithm to select the 10-12 records (out of the thousands of the candidate records) that provide the best fit to the specified target spectrum (and/or the other Intensity Measures). Not sure if this is provided by the PEER online program.

Stelios Antoniou

Return to “02-Analytical capabilities”