coupling beams

02-Getting started with the modelling
amany

coupling beams

Post by amany »

Hi,
How can i model coupling beam of coupled shear walls of 15&20 storeys on seismostruct and it noteworthy that coupling beam once reinforced by FRP and once strengthened by frp i need to do seismic evaluation. many thanks for you
seismosoft

Re: coupling beams

Post by seismosoft »

You can model it as an ordinary beam, coupling beams are no different from ordinary beams.
If the beam is short though, you might want to use the infrmDB frame element type for convergence stability reasons.
Seismosoft Support
amany

Post by amany »

i want to model the whole system of coupled shear walls with coupling beam as solid elements and i want to know how can i consider the connection between the beam and wall on the program and will the program help me for 20 storeys and for frp reinforcing and strengthening thanks i need an example please for modelling
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear amany,

You should just connect the walls with the coupling beam element. You may check the connection of beam elements with wall elements in the SeismoStruct Sample model available in the following link:
https://seismosoft.com/structure_37

There isn't any limitation in the number of floors that you may model in SeismoStruct and FRP Sheets are available. If your question is for assigning FRP reinforcing bars, then this option is not supported in the current version.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
amany

Post by amany »

what is the type of constraint for modelling coupled shear walls with coupling beam, how to connect them?and how to model the connection between wall and beam, what is the type of element?and if i model two shear walls and coupling beam between them for one story and for 10 story, how many nodes will i use?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

For coupling beams between walls you may use either the infrmFBPH of the infrmDB element (the latter in the case of short elements). The volume of the walls should be modelled with rigid offsets of the beam element. Normally you only need to use the end nodes of the walls and connect them with the coupling beam (ie. the signel infrmFBPH element with rigid offsets).
Seismosoft Support
amany

Post by amany »

how can i model diagonal bars? and what is the meaning of this (Unable to apply the entire phase load. Phase terminated
Total Analysis Time: 0h:0min:13sec-)?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Currently, it is not possible to model diagonal rebars in SeismoStruct.
For divergence problems, you may carry out a search in this forum (there are several posts), whereas there is a specific section in the manual that deal with this issue
Seismosoft Support
amany

Post by amany »

please, how can i model cyclic loading in seismo?
huffte

Post by huffte »

A dynamic analysis with loads defined as either acceleration histories or force histories, either on members or on nodes, sounds like what you need. I point you to the many examples in the Verification Report for lots of good information. Best of luck, amany.
Tim Huff

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”