shear wall moment-curvature

04-Unexpected behaviour/errors
rezasheikhi

shear wall moment-curvature

Post by rezasheikhi »

Hi,

I use SeismoStruct to obtain moment-curvature curve in shear wall but it has convergence problem.
How should I fix it?
Here is my model:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/njjd6cp695bf4 ... e.spf?dl=0

Kind regards,
Reza Sheikhi
huffte

Re: shear wall moment-curvature

Post by huffte »

I don't see a problem, rezasheikhi. You have loaded the wall well beyond the elastic range. The moment-rotation diagram for all 10 sections is identical and a large ductility has been reached. The drift is approximately 1.5%, which is reasonable for a shear wall. So I am not clear as to what you believe should have happened in this analysis.
Tim Huff
rezasheikhi

Post by rezasheikhi »

Thank you for your help, what are reasonable values for applied load and target displacement?
huffte

Post by huffte »

Well, I am not quite clear what you are asking. Are you trying to model a particular experiment? A particular building? A particular model from another software result? 'Reasonable' is relative and subjective. Given that you achieved a drift of about 1.5% for a shear wall, it seems that the geometry and reinforcing are not outside the realm of what might be experienced in actual structures designed for some moderate seismic loading. While you did not achieve your target displacement, you loaded the structure well beyond the elastic range, as mentioned previously. So 'reasonable' depends on your goal in the analysis. Are you designing the wall for a particular loading and ductility? Are you evaluating an existing wall? The answers to these questions will help I think. Best of luck.
Tim Huff

Return to “04-Unexpected behaviour/errors”