Plastic Hinge Animation Result

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
Kirkaguel

Plastic Hinge Animation Result

Post by Kirkaguel »

Hi,

I am a new user of both Seismobuild and Seismosoft just downloaded it today.

I am quite familiar with the Performance Based Design Methodology using Perform 3D software and Midas Gen amd I would say that Perform 3Dis very powerful when it comes to Nonlinear Time History Analysis for tall buildings. Its pre and post processing are very tedious and terribly not user freindly. This is the very reason why we are trying out Seismostruct to compare its capabilities with Perform 3D.

Let me start my question with Seismobuild.

1. Does Seismobuild be able to show the animation of plastic hinge result with color coding on the status of the hinge as per ASCE 41?

2. Does Seismobuild has built in nonlinear link to model retrofit opitions like base isolator, dampers or BRB etc?

3. Does Seismobuild do full blown Nonlinear Time HIstory Analysis since for tall building design as per PEER TBI Guidelines 2017, LATBSDC 2017 or CTUBH 2017 Guidelines all require that the analysis must be done using NOnlinear Time History Analysis. Pushover is not permitted.

I will more questions to follow.

Thank you and best regards
seismosoft

Re: Plastic Hinge Animation Result

Post by seismosoft »

1. yes, you can do so in the post-processor of both SeismoBuild and SeismoStruct in the deformed shape viewer tab, by selecting the relevant code-based checks (for chord rotation and shear for the selected performance level). Note that in SeismoStruct the code based checks should have been defined in the pre-processor
2. The current release of SeismoBuild (v2018) does not support nonlinear time-history analysis. However, this feature (together with dampers and base isolators) is currently being programmed and will be included in the program in v2020 that will be published in early 2020. With SeismoStruct v2018 instead users are able to easily run nonlinear time-history analysis and model dampers and isolators with its nonlinear link element and its built-in library or hysteretic models
3. See point 2 above.

Note that you can see a variety of structures modeled in SeismoBuild and SeismoStruct in: https://seismosoft.com/sample-download

Seismosoft Support
Kirkaguel

Post by Kirkaguel »

Many thanks for the clarifications on my queries.

It seems now that Seismostruct will be the right tool to compare with Perform 3D.

I will be posting more questions specific to nonlinear time history analysis procedure topic by topic to be able to compare the exact capabilities of Seismostruct against Perform 3D.

Best regards and Happy New Year
Kirkaguel

Post by Kirkaguel »

The animation that I get from the post processing deformed shape viewer is not what I expected It does not show what is the status of each plastic hinge for every time step. Sap2000 and Midas Gen has a very nice color coding of plastic hinge status at every time step visually you can identify which hinge is in the IO, LS or CP condition. Is this possible in Seismobuild?

I am attaching our sample pushover animation from Midas Gen.

https://www.dropbox.com/h

Best regards
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Unfortunately, this feature is not possible currently in SeismoBuild. However multiple code-based checks and be defined and simultaneously viewed in SeismoStruct.
Seismosoft Support
Kirkaguel

Post by Kirkaguel »

Hope this animation feature of color coding the status of plastic hinge will be incorporated in future release of Seismobuild.

Seimobuild is easier to use than the other softwares that our firm have been using.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Thank you Kirkaguel, both for your nice comments, as well as your interesting suggestions.
Seismosoft Support
mariashahh

Post by mariashahh »

Thanks for sharing such informative comments. It's very nice & interesting.

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”