plastic hinges in columns

04-Unexpected behaviour/errors
yahia

plastic hinges in columns

Post by yahia »

Hi everyone , i modeled 3d RC-frame using pushover analysis, after getting results and curve is plotted ,i check chord rotation for plastic hinges .
the plastic hinges is appeared in beams and ground columns , and didn't appeared in upper stories.
what is the reason for this phenomenon ?
the attached file clear my point
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3bphicygdeya ... 0.spf?dl=0

i hope i get answer soon
my best regards
yahia
huffte

Re: plastic hinges in columns

Post by huffte »

This is the typically preferred mechanism for design in modern buildings. The so-called strong-column, weak-beam concept in which hinges form in the beams of each floor and, finally, in the ground floor columns to complete the mechanism. So perhaps you are modeling a properly designed building? Only you and you supervisor can say for certain.
Tim Huff
yahia

Post by yahia »

Dear huff
Thank you for responding ,what i meant ,the plastic hinges formed in all stories (beams and columns) when I choose chord rotaion in yielding(automatic calculation) .But when i started to specify a value for chord rotation to determine the preformance level for plastic hinges ,it started to take another stage (change its colors),except the upper columns
For example
Chord rotation in operation stage=0.005
Chord rotation in lifr safety stage=0.01
Chord rotation in collapse prevention stage=0.02
The previous attached file cleared that point
My best regards
Yahia
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

The change of color means that a new performance criterion has been achieved, i.e. a performance criterion with a higher chord rotation value.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “04-Unexpected behaviour/errors”