Jacketed section

05-Future developments & requests
langxuzeng

Jacketed section

Post by langxuzeng »

Dear all,
I am a new user of SeismoStruct and I am performing an IDA analysis for a concrete pier with hollow circular section retrofitted with steel.How to simulate this interesting section in SeismoStruct? Can any body give me some benefinal suggestion for this question?
Thank you in advance.
Best regards.
salar

Re: Jacketed section

Post by salar »

Hi
well i think,seismostruct has one hollow circular section which is not retrofitted.
you'd be simulate it in abaqus
langxuzeng

Post by langxuzeng »

Dear salar,
Thank you for your reply.But I want to simulate retrofitted section.I hope the next version will include more jacketed section in it.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Dear langxuzeng,

We wonder if you could not consider, as a sort of workaround, defining two coincident elements, one with a reinforced concrete hollow circular section, and the other with a steel hollow circular section?

Seismosoft Support
langxuzeng

Post by langxuzeng »

Dear Seismosoft Support,
Thank you for your creative suggestion for this interesting question.But how to connect these consistent elements in SeismoStruct.Would you please give me some excellent guidence again?I hope you could help me.
Thank you in advance.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

If the two elements are connected to the same two end nodes, and in particular if you make use of infrmDB formulation (which will impose the same deformation shape for both elements), then they will be behaving as if perfectly connected/bond together.

As always, we do suggest you to carry out some trial analysis (starting with elastic ones) and do comparisons with hand-calculations results, so as to verify modelling hypotheses/assumptions such as the one above.

Seismosoft Support
zthaer

Post by zthaer »

dear seismostruct team;
i used the latter suggestion to model a retrofitting of concrete rectangular section with steel sheets
and i calculate the total shear capacity of the retrofitted section and assign it to the concrete cross section
then i push the structure (the jacketed structure ) using pushover analysis and the response enhanced significantly so my questions:
1) do this enhancement from the automatic calculation of confinements ? since seismostruct accounts automatically for that or,
the contribution of the stiffness to the flexural behavior of these elements ?
or both
i need help please;
best;
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Thaer,

Calculating the total shear capacity of the retrofitted section and assigning it to the concrete cross section will not lead you to correct results. In order to check if the retrofitted section shear capacity is enough, you should add the shear capacity of both sections (hollow section plus reinforced concrete section) and compare it to the shear forces applied to both sections (hollow section plus reinforced concrete section).
The program does not automatically recalculates the properties of the existing reinforced concrete section due to the insertion of the hollow section.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
zthaer

Post by zthaer »

Dear Zoi;
since i do not extend the steel sheets to the beams/foundation, how could i model that hollow section to get the shear demand imposed on it and not having the the effect of such jacket on the global stiffness?
best
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Thaer,

The structural stiffness increases when we insert steel jackets at the existing sections. But, if you want to take into consideration only the shear capacity contribution of the steel jacket,you may modify the corresponding value of the existing reinforced concrete section, to account for both the reinforced concrete section shear capacity and the steel jacket shear capacity, without introducing the steel hollow section.
In the case that I didn't understand correctly your query and you are asking the way to apply the hollow section partially and not to the total length of the column, then you should subdivide the element to adequate number of elements and introduce the steel hollow section where needed.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.

Return to “05-Future developments & requests”