performance criteria

03-Unexpected behaviour/errors
Ahil_Anand

performance criteria

Post by Ahil_Anand »

Dear Seismosoft,
Why we can not define a performance criteria for moments of nodes and element? Why there is no option for this in performance criteria tab? For shear, rotation, strain and ..., your options are very well, but I need to have a criteria for moment in my work. Can I hope this will be able in the next release 2018?
huffte

Re: performance criteria

Post by huffte »

It seems a reasonable suggestion, Ahil_Anand. In the meantime, however, could you not get the same effect with a strain based criterion? For example, if you wish to be notified when the yield moment is reached for a given member, simply compute the yield strain and use that for the criterion? You could do the same for any fraction of yield moment as well. Maybe this will help. Maybe not. We'll see. Best of luck.
Tim Huff
seismosoft

Re: performance criteria

Post by seismosoft »

Hello Ahil,
SeismoStruct v2018 is being completed within the next 1-2 weeks, hence it will definitely not include the performance criteria that you proposed. We might consider including it in a subsequent release in the future, however we honestly cannot understand the rationale for such criteria. Can you please explain where and how you find useful these criteria?
1) For the case of element moments there is a need for such a criterion in the case of linear analysis. However, for nonlinear analysis all the code-based capacity checks are performed in terms of chord rotation limits, which is why we implemented such a criterion. Where did you need a element-based moment criterion
2) Similarly, we cannot find a case when a node moment criterion was useful.

Can you please explain your needs, so that to assess the usefulness of such criteria?
Thanks,
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Unexpected behaviour/errors”