Fourier Amplitude Spectra

02-Analytical capabilities
sam123

Fourier Amplitude Spectra

Post by sam123 »

Hi everyone

What procedure is used in the Seismosignal to obtain the Fourier Amplitude spectra? Please explain required steps to calculate the Fourier Amplitude spectra of an input record in this software.

Thanks so much
z.gronti

Re: Fourier Amplitude Spectra

Post by z.gronti »

Dear sam123,

Once you load the record, the Fourier Amplitude Spectrum and the Power Spectrum are automatically computed. Please refer to "Fourier and Power Spectra" page of SeismoSignal Help System for more information.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
sam123

Post by sam123 »

Dear z.gronti

Thank you for your response but I did not find a detailed description for the calculation of the fourier amplitude spectra in the page of SeismoSignal Help System. I would be grateful if you could guide me about that how is calculated fourier amplitude spectra in the seismosignal.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Hello sam123,
You may find the description you are looking for in any good textbook or in the internet (e.g. see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Fourier_transform)
Seismosoft Support
antoniic

Post by antoniic »

Hello

How could I create Fourier Amplitute Spectrum for Dispplacement, from Seismosignal.
Seismosignal create FAS only for acceleration.

Yours Faithfully
huffte

Post by huffte »

I suppose there is nothing to prevent you from saving an integrated displacement history as a text file and loading that into SeismoSignal. I am not sure what units problems you might run into., however.
Tim Huff
Navid

Post by Navid »

Hey There. I am kinda lost. What is the unit of Fourier amplitude, calculated by SeismoSignal? My understanding is that the said unit should be g.s, meaning that Fourier amplitude times the frequency should give the corresponding value of Sa (g).

Fanis_Moschas

Post by Fanis_Moschas »

Hello Navid,
the amplitude units are same as the units of your time series (for example g, m/sec or whatever your units are) multiplied by seconds (the time interval unt). So in order to obtain the real amplitude for a specific frequency in your results you need to multiply the amplitude with 2 (due to the two sided shape of the Fourier transform results) and then divide it by the number of points of your time series and by the time step (dt in seconds).
Best Regards
Fanis Moschas
Fanis Moschas
Seismosoft Srl.

Return to “02-Analytical capabilities”