Is the built-in acceleration data filtered?

02-Analytical capabilities
xichen

Is the built-in acceleration data filtered?

Post by xichen »

Hi everyone
Could you tell me if the acceleration data in the C:\Program Files (x86)\SeismoSoft\SeismoSignal\2016\accelerograms is filtered or the original one? Thanks.
huffte

Re: Is the built-in acceleration data filtered?

Post by huffte »

Hi xichen. Upon observing the integrated velocity and displacement histories (which return to, or very nearly to, zero), I can only conclude that each of the provided records has been filtered. To further convince myself, I compared the Kocaeli record from SeismoSignal with the version of that record I have from the PEER Ground Motion database, which I know to be baseline adjusted and filtered. The are only extremely slight differences in the two versions (no difference apparent upon visual inspection), presumably due to the retention of 4 significant figures in the SeismoSignal versions. In fact, you may even notice that the bandpass filter frequency range has been included in the headers of the SeismoSignal files. Best of luck with your work, xichen.
Tim Huff
TariqSlimee

Post by TariqSlimee »

hey guys,
I have a similar question,
Are the default accelerograms in Seismosoft Softwares are calculated by SRSS of two horizontal components, because they don't fit the original data given by PEER database?
Thanks in advance.
huffte

Post by huffte »

PGA, PGV, PGD, and spectral data are computed for each component individually in SeismoSignal and SeismoSpect. NGA West and NGA West2 flatfile data are either geometric mean of the two components (NGA West) or RotD50 of the two components (NGA West2). That is why the data do not match.
Tim Huff

Return to “02-Analytical capabilities”