Reference for hazard level multipliers

06-Referencing and license issues
rajdeepsaharia

Reference for hazard level multipliers

Post by rajdeepsaharia »

In the target displacement module when Eurocode 8 part 3 is selected, and under seismic action tab in the other spectral shape when IS 1893: Part 1:2016 Indian Code is selected , a window appears for hazard level multiplier.
The default DL, SD, NC values are 0.78, 1 and 1.734 respectively. I have understood the significance of these values, but please let me know why only these specific values are taken, and what are the references for these values.
z.gronti

Re: Reference for hazard level multipliers

Post by z.gronti »

Dear rajdeepsaharia,

The default values of the Hazard Levels are according to the Codes. You may find the corresponding paragraph for Eurocodes in Section 2.1(4) of Eurocode 8-Part 1.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
rajdeepsaharia

Post by rajdeepsaharia »

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer my question.It was of great help.
-My sincere appreciation.
mangesh30

Post by mangesh30 »

In the target displacement module when Asce 41-17 is selected, and under seismic action tab in the other spectral shape when IS 1893: Part 1:2016 Indian Code is selected , a window appears for hazard level multiplier. Shall I get please the reference section for these default values??
Aslo, Shall I go automatic calculation of target displacement as per ASCE 41-17 CODE. Is there any bug or error in the 2020 version?? Please give your valuable suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

There is no reference for this module. These are the multipliers of the user-defined spectrum that provide the seismic risk and the different selected hazard levels (different seismic risk for different hazard level).
If you choose the Indian spectrum, the target displacement is calculated according to the ASCE-41 procedure, but employing the spectral shape of the Indian Code. To our knowledge there is not bug in the methodology in v2020, but it is better to upgrade to the latest release.
Seismosoft Support
mangesh30

Post by mangesh30 »

Ok thank you. Shall I use the default values for my work (1.2, 1, 0.8 & 0.6)??? or should I use another?? I have read ASCE 41-17 but there is no provision regarding these multipliers.. so please tell me your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

No, the default values are arbitrary. These are the coefficients that multiply a reference seismic action to get the different levels of seismic risk. See EC8 part-1 section 2.1 and in particular 2.1(4) on how to calculate them.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “06-Referencing and license issues”