Misbehaviour of mas_par parameter input form

04-Unexpected behaviour/errors
pcandeias

Misbehaviour of mas_par parameter input form

Post by pcandeias »

Dear all,

I am facing a misbehaviour in the mas_par material properties input form:

The modulus of elasticity keeps changing values whenever I change the compressive strength (to a value multiplied by 1000) independently of me setting it to a different value. I am not sure what value is considered in the end.
z.gronti

Re: Misbehaviour of mas_par parameter input form

Post by z.gronti »

Dear pcandeias,

This is a general rule that has been applied, that the modulus of elasticity is equal to 1000 times the compressive strength. However, if you modify the modulus of elasticity after the assignment of the compressive strength, the modulus of elasticity will keep the value that you set. You may also check it by saving the material and open it again.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
pcandeias

Post by pcandeias »

Dear Zoi Gronti,

thank you for your fast reply.

From my tests with this input form I can see the behaviour that you mention: whenever there is I a change in the compressive strength, the modulus of elasticity changes automatically to 1000 times that value.

I also gather that I cannot use a modulus of elasticity that is smaller than 275 times the compressive strength, and that apparently there is no upper limit. I know that both quantities are related, but where can I find more information about the limits imposed by the software?

Best regards,
Paulo Candeias
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear pcandeias,

The modulus of elasticity should be equal to or larger than 1.1 x (Compressive Strength Value)/(Strain at peak stress value).
The result of the (Compressive Strength Value)/(Strain at peak stress value) is the modulus of elasticity if the material was elastic. Hence, the modulus of elasticity of you material should be higher than this value, that's why the developers have introduced the 1.1 factor.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.

Return to “04-Unexpected behaviour/errors”