Rigid Elastic element

04-Unexpected behaviour/errors
Behnam

Rigid Elastic element

Post by Behnam »

Hi
1- i want to model Rigid Links using weight=0 with E=2E+020(Modules of elasticity).i had done this before but i seems it is not possible in the latest version of Seismo.

2- Also, i know rigid links can be made using the Constraints-Rigid link module.but i'm not sure whether i'm doing it right or not?

Aslo find attached the model and .jpg of the error
http://www.filedropper.com/attachement

Thanks in Advance Seismosoft Support Team
BR
Behanm
seismosoft

Re: Rigid Elastic element

Post by seismosoft »

1- i want to model Rigid Links using weight=0 with E=2E+020(Modules of elasticity).i had done this before but i seems it is not possible in the latest version of Seismo.
There should be no problem with SeismoStruct 2016 either.

2- Also, i know rigid links can be made using the Constraints-Rigid link module.but i'm not sure whether i'm doing it right or not?
Having thousands of users, obviously we cannot provide personalised support to each one of them, and check everybody's models. If you have specific questions, we will be happy to answers to them.
Seismosoft Support
Behnam

Post by Behnam »

hi
my question still remains unsolved :?: .as i want to create rigid links,using weight=0 with E=2E+020.after selecting the element type as ,elastic frame element,and choosing my previously defined rigid link,the the EI and GJ grays out with large value for EA, showing -INF and the OK button is grayed out and impossible to be selected or confirmed.so i can't make rigid links
Kind Regards
Behnam
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

You should select from the drop-down menu on the left, the User-Defined option.
Seismosoft Support
FarzinPhD

Post by FarzinPhD »

Hi, i have the same problem: when i try to add elastic frame element in the element classes tab, at first i choose an name to element and then from the drop-down menu the elastic frame element is selected but when i select predefined section from the below drop-down menu, all the EA, EI and ok button becomes gray.
i done this action without any problem few time ago, but i don't know what happens that i cant do this action recently.
please help me. :( :( :(
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear FarzinPhD,

As it is written in SeismoStruct's User Manual: "In order to fully characterise this type of element, users are asked to either specify an already created section (for which the program will then automatically compute all the necessary elastic mechanical properties) or to instead specify here custom values of EA, EI2, EI3 and GJ...". Hence, the EA, EI2, EI3 and GJ are automatically computed by the program based on the predefined section that you assign.
As far as the "OK" button is concerned, I checked it and couldn't recreate the reported error. Have you defined the element's class name and additional mass(which should be set zero if you don't have any)?
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
FarzinPhD

Post by FarzinPhD »

I did all these things correctly, but the problem remains. In the section tab, I create a solid section called T1, and in the section characteristics tab, it shows all the EA, EI, etc., but when I select the T1 in the elastic element tab from the drop-down menu, the OK button is disabled and I have to enter EA, EI and etc. manually from the section characteristics. This seems to be a software bug in the 2020 version.

Thanks a lot.
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear FarzinPhD,

Could you please send me the project that creates this problem and if possible a screenshot or a video with the reported error at z.gronti@seismosoft.com?
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
FarzinPhD

Post by FarzinPhD »

Hi, the mentioned project files has submitted to your email address.
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear FarzinPhD,

Indeed, there is a bug in the automatic calculation of the EA, EI2, EI3 and GJ of the elastic frame element when you use the css section type. Thank you for reporting it. It will be corrected in the upcoming release.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.

Return to “04-Unexpected behaviour/errors”