Modelling bearing in a RC building

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
p20210437

Modelling bearing in a RC building

Post by p20210437 »

Dear sir/madam,
I'm a research scholar. I want to model elastomeric bearing in a low-rise RC building. For that, can I use the elastomeric bearing element (Bouc Wen), same as that we use for bridges?
I tried modeling the same in 2 storey RC building, but its showing unexpectedly larger vertical deformations. I gave the input parameters - Vertical, translational, rotational stiffness values, hardening ratios and yield strength. Changing the axial stiffness doesn't show any difference in deformations, but when I increased the stiffness in shear directions, the vertical deformations are getting reduced, which is not practically possible.
And also I want to know whether the units that we are mentioning in the element is the same as those we are giving for the entire modeling of structure.
I have these confusions with modeling the bearing. Kindly Please explain how to model the elastomeric bearing in SeismoStruct.

Thanks,
huffte

Re: Modelling bearing in a RC building

Post by huffte »

Make certain that your bearing element is aligned with the axis you need it to be. It sounds like you have the element rotated 90 degrees from the direction it needs to be oriented, but that is just my initial thought on reading the problem. It could be something else. Worth checking though.
Tim Huff
p20210437

Post by p20210437 »

Thanks for the response.
I think the alignment is correct only. Still trying to rectify the problem
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

If you increase the shear stiffness (without changing anything else) and the vertical deformations decrease, then it is most likely that by mistake you have confused the local axes 1, 2 and 3, as huffte pointed out.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”