Relocation of the support

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
aliisaberiiii

Relocation of the support

Post by aliisaberiiii »

Hi everyone,
I did an incremental dynamic analysis of a 4-Story steel frame, but for scale factors of 0.4 and above some of the records, relocation of the support in deformed shape post-processor is observed. Is this normal? The supports are fixed and all members are infrmDB. (I changed the members to the infrmFB, but there is still a relocation of the support.)
z.gronti

Re: Relocation of the support

Post by z.gronti »

Dear aliisaberiiii,

Have you selected the "Restrain All" restraint type for all the support nodes? If yes, could you please send me your model at z.gronti@seismosoft.com to check it?
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
aliisaberiiii

Post by aliisaberiiii »

z.gronti wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 12:02 Dear aliisaberiiii,

Have you selected the "Restrain All" restraint type for all the support nodes? If yes, could you please send me your model at z.gronti@seismosoft.com to check it?
Dear z.gronti,
yes I did. I sent you the files. Thanks a lot
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear aliisaberiiii,

If I understand correctly, with the term "relocation" you are referring to the absolute displacement values of the support nodes. This is absolutely reasonable. You should just think how the dynamic time-history analysis applies to a building. We usually, however, check the relative displacement with base node one of the support nodes.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”