Rigid Link Constraints and Rigid Arm (elfrm)

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
roshen.rj

Rigid Link Constraints and Rigid Arm (elfrm)

Post by roshen.rj »

Hi

I wanted to ask about the modelling capabilities of two approaches in Seismostruct:
1) Rigid Link that is defined as 'Constraints'
2) Rigid arm (or 'elfrm') used in several Seismostruct verification examples.

My question now is for a multi-storey building in which the main LFRS is core walls, is connecting these walls together using rigid links (as observed from Seismobuild Building Modeller when exported to Seismostruct) which restraints them in x+y+z+rx+ry+rz a recommended modelling technique?

Can this modelling technique (i.e. connecting core walls with rigid link constraints) be adopted for a simple scaled down core wall to be verified against an experimental cyclic loading test? Or should we adopt a practice of using elfrm to connect them (as seen in several framed structures in the seismostruct verification manual) ?

Regards
RJ
seismosoft

Re: Rigid Link Constraints and Rigid Arm (elfrm)

Post by seismosoft »

Indeed, the connection of the core wall parts with rigid links is the recommended approach. It can also bea dopted for the simple core walls of your experiemnt. For mire details refer to the relevant publications in the bibliography of the help of the program:

Beyer, K., Dazio, A., and Priestley, M.J.N. [2008] "Seismic design of torsionally eccentric buildings with U-shaped RC walls," ROSE School, Pavia, Italy.

Beyer, K., Dazio, A., and Priestley, M.J.N. [2008] "Inelastic Wide-Column Models for U-Shaped Reinforced Concrete Walls," Journal of Earthquake Engineering 12:Sp1, 1-33.

Beyer, K., Dazio, A., and Priestley, M.J.N.[2008] "Elastic and inelastic wide-column models for RC non rectangular walls," Proceedings of the fortieth World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.

Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”