Static Pushover Analysis on a one story masonry building

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
DanThomas

Static Pushover Analysis on a one story masonry building

Post by DanThomas »

Hi,
I'm having difficulty with undertaking a static pushover analysis on a one story masonry building. I'm getting the error suggesting that the structure fails for all loadings I apply, even when I wouldn't expect it to. I have changed the convergence criteria and tried to follow the guidance provided but no luck so far. Is this a common issue or is there something that I could have done wrong to explain this?

Thanks,
Dan
z.gronti

Re: Static Pushover Analysis on a one story masonry building

Post by z.gronti »

Dear DanThomas,

As a general suggestion is to check the model, starting from the correct connection of the structural elements. This may be done with the help of the Eigenvalue analysis.

You may also find and download models of masonry buildings in SeismoBuild & SeismoStruct Sample models available in https://seismosoft.com/seismobuild-seis ... le-models/
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
DanThomas

Post by DanThomas »

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me, I have been comparing my model with the example model and I notice that the Target Displacement cannot go above 0.01 without the simulation failing to complete. This is what's happening for my model also (i.e. at Target Displacement of 0.01 my model runs fine) but I was hoping to apply a higher Target Displacement, is this possible? I am on the Academic version also if that plays a part.

I also noticed that the example masonry building doesn't complete processing when using the dynamic time history analysis either, is this expected?

Thanks Again!
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear DanThomas,

Are you referring to the 2-storey masonry model with Dynamic analysis (model 52_Masonry_building-dynamic_analysis.spf)? If yes, please check if you have the latest version of SeismoStruct v2021, because the analysis in this model is completed successfully.

The only limitation of the academic version of SeismoStruct is that it supports code-based checks of up to twenty members and cannot send support email to Seismosoft within the program.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”