Regarding target displacement

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
seismosoft

Re: Regarding target displacement

Post by seismosoft »

You can easily create a ready-to-run DAP model with SeismoStruct's wizard facility.
Seismosoft Support
jessie_7

Post by jessie_7 »

The target displacement can be defined by the user or calculated using a selected code in the target displacement tab. The target displacement entered in the loading phases tab, is it that it is a maximum displacement so that a pushover curve up until this value (that is if it can be pushed to that maximum value) would be obtained at the end of the analysis?
If it is so, I varied entering the target displacement value and for some values, I would get a "reasonable" curve and others an error indicating either "unable to apply the load phase" or "structure model cannot withstand the defined loading" would be received. If the target displacement entered is a maximum value, why isn't a curve produced up until whatever displacement value the structure can withstand be the output irrespective of the value of the target displacement?
Can the target displacement be explained? That is whether it is like a monitored displacement so that the pushover curve would not have any displacement exceeding that value?
huffte

Post by huffte »

The Help system has a lot of good information on 'Target Displacement'. I typically don't use auto-calculated target displacement, but specify my own. Start with a reasonable guess. If that doesn't push it far enough, increase on the next run. If that pushes too far, you can reduce on the next run. Hope this helps and best of luck with your work.
Tim Huff
jessie_7

Post by jessie_7 »

Hi Huff,
Yes it has a lot to be honest, but I started panicking when I saw as I changed the value, the form of the pushover curve changed significantly. I pushed it to several different values, but then the strength of the structure continued to increase and never degraded in most, while others it was a very dramatic strength degradation. I used rigid links to connect the masonry wall horizontal and vertical sections and the bases of the walls fixed.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

The level of degradation depends on the type of modelling that you apply, i.e. depends on the ability of the structure to deform inelastically or not.
Seismosoft Support
kaysisig

Post by kaysisig »

Hi!

I am trying to define my own spectral curve on the Target Displacement tab. However, I can't seem to find the "Other Spectral Shapes" anywhere. I am using v2018 of seismostruct. Can anyone tell me specifically where to find this option?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

SeismoStruct v2018 did not support user-defined spectra for the target displacement calculation.
You need to upgrade to v2021 for this feature.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”