Plastic hinge length

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
Ralazem

Plastic hinge length

Post by Ralazem »

Hello,

For infrmFBPH elements, is the plastic hinge % a percentage of wall height or length? There is nothing in the manual/help centre that identifies this.
huffte

Re: Plastic hinge length

Post by huffte »

When you define the element class, you will see in the required input that the units are indeed given to be '%'.
Tim Huff
Ralazem

Post by Ralazem »

I am aware of that, as you can see from my main post. My question is, is it a % of wall height or % of wall length?
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Ralazem,

The plastic hinge length is defined as a percentage of the Columns'/walls' height or beams' length.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
Ralazem

Post by Ralazem »

However some of my verification tests produced better results when I took it as a percentage of wall's length
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Probably by chance. The 16.67% default value for the plastic hinge length of the infrmFBPH element is a very reasonable value and should not be changed, unless there is a strong reason.
Seismosoft Support
Ralazem

Post by Ralazem »

I am analyzing Old badly designed buildings. I don't think the 16.67% is applicable in this case. Is there any justification for it's usage?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

The 16.67% value is a reasonable average value for the inelastic force-based plastic hinge element type. Please refer to:
Plastic hinge integration methods for force-based beam–column elements, MH Scott, GL Fenves - Journal of Structural Engineering, 2006 - ascelibrary.org
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”