Response control pushover analysis

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
Ralazem

Response control pushover analysis

Post by Ralazem »

Hello. If I want to push my element to a specific displacement, should I set the load phase as ( response control ) with the required displacement value? If so, what should the applied load be? Should it be the same displacement value (displacement load and not force) ?

The context of this: Doing validation testing using experimental data, and trying to compare the backbone curve from the pushover to the backbone curve I have from the experimental analysis. When I set the response control and the displacement load equal to the displacement value that is required, the backbone curve obtained does not match with my experimental results.

Note: I have referred to the manual and help system of seismostruct and I am still unsure regarding this and would like some guidance.
seismosoft

Re: Response control pushover analysis

Post by seismosoft »

There are numerous reasons why you do not much the experimental results, for instance the material strengths, or the distribution of the lateral forces. Regarding the force vs. response control issue, as we explained in another question of yours in another post...
1) Load control (with forces as lateral loads) is like pushing the structure with constant increments of forces 5, 10, 15, 20... kN
2) Response control (with forces as lateral loads) instead is like pulling the structure at constant displacement increments 5, 10, 15, 20... mm, and then measuring the lateral forces that correspond to these deformation levels.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”