about verification reports examples (RC joint)

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
rbsce.ph

Re: about verification reports examples (RC joint)

Post by rbsce.ph »

I tried modelling the 3 storey building based from Ch4-RC-03 using building modeller. I noticed that there are many nodes defined in this verification example. The building modeller will only generate a number of nodes. I also considered 2 kPa for variable load and 0.5 kPa for permanent load as said in the verification report. Will the mass of the structure be the same as the model of the verification example? Is it also necessary to model all these nodes for the analysis to be accurate?
rbsce.ph

Post by rbsce.ph »

May we know how to determine the parameters of the Takeda Curve for the springs? Do you have any additional references?

Thank you.
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

rbsce.ph wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 09:47 I tried modelling the 3 storey building based from Ch4-RC-03 using building modeller. I noticed that there are many nodes defined in this verification example. The building modeller will only generate a number of nodes. I also considered 2 kPa for variable load and 0.5 kPa for permanent load as said in the verification report. Will the mass of the structure be the same as the model of the verification example? Is it also necessary to model all these nodes for the analysis to be accurate?
As far as the structural mass is concerned, you should make the proper choice in the Gravity & Mass tab of the Project Settings. Please note that in the provided verification report model, the applied masses, that they are distributed along columns and beams, represent (i) the self-weight of the frame, (ii) a permanent load of 0.5 kN/m2 and (iii) a variable load of 2 kN/m2. Hence, you should make your own calculations if the self-weight of the frame will be automatically calculated based on the structural geometry and materials' specific weight. Finally, you may check from the post-processor if the total mass that you have applied is the same with the one from the provided verification report example.
Finally, I am not sure about which nodes you are referring to. You may create your model with the number of nodes that you think are sufficient and compare the results.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

rbsce.ph wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 09:36 Hello,

We tried modelling Ch4 ch4-joint1 without the springs for beam and column. We only modeled the spring at the center (Joint_B_Center), however the analysis did not run. Is it possible to model only this joint spring alone using other techniques?

Thank you and your comments are highly appreciated.
You should check if you have connected all the elements properly. For example, if you haven't modelled the J1 element, the P1 element should have as element start node the node 3 instead of node 14, because you have not modeled the link connection between nodes 3 and 14, hence the node 14 is not needed anymore.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

rbsce.ph wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 10:03 May we know how to determine the parameters of the Takeda Curve for the springs? Do you have any additional references?

Thank you.
You may find in SeismoStruct's User Manual the bibliography used for this curve.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
rbsce.ph

Post by rbsce.ph »

z.gronti wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 13:12 Dear 1MS18CSE25,

I just sent you an email with the requested document
Hello, can I also request for this reference. It will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear rbsce.ph,

I just sent it to you.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
shahdhruviajay

Post by shahdhruviajay »

Hello sir
I modelled RC JOINT -2 .
I used same properties used by you but my answers are not matching with your answers.
I also checked convergence criteria and all the properties.
I will send you my modelled on <support@seismosoft.com> and <info@seismosoft.com>.
Please tell me my mistakes.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Shahdhruviajay,
Seismosoft cannot provide personalised support to all our free academic users (they are thousands), this is simply impossible. All these problems of your should probably discussed be with your supervisor.
If you have specific questions on the model, we will be happy to assist you. In any case, you could start by checking the differences between your model and our model in the verification report, and seeing th effect of each one of these differences.
Seismosoft Support
roshen.rj

Post by roshen.rj »

z.gronti wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 13:12 Dear 1MS18CSE25,

I just sent you an email with the requested document
Dear Zoi

Could you please also send me the dissertation to roshen.rj@gmail.com as I am not able to find it online?

Regards
Roshen

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”