parallel processing

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
ALI.K

parallel processing

Post by ALI.K »

Dear Seismosoft members,

how can i use parallel processing in seismo struct?

Thanks
z.gronti

Re: parallel processing

Post by z.gronti »

Dear ALI.K,

You may simultaneously run multiple projects by opening multiple SeismoStruct instances.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
ALI.K

Post by ALI.K »

Dear Zoi Gronti

I want to perform IDA analysis, in time of analysis do seismo struct use multiple core of cpu for faster analysis?

Thanks
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear ALI.K,

SeismoStruct does not currently features the requested facility.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
Kirkaguel

Post by Kirkaguel »

I think this is a very critical feature that needs to be implemented. Perform 3D has recently implemented this feature because of the overwhelming request. This one feature alone is very essential when you are required by the guidelines and code to use 11 ground motions x two horizontal directions plus eccentricities etc. for one ground motion for example that take days to run you will definitely have problems with computing time. Parallel processing will allow you to run several ground motions simultaneously on the same computer utilizing the maximum core of your computer or you can run the same model on separate computers and eventually export all results into one model for post processing of all ground motions to get the mean response.

I am a new user and trying to evaluate seismostruct for comparison with perform 3D but without this one feature alone I am not sure if this will not be a problem for practical implementation of Performance Based Design procedure.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Parallel programming is a feature that we are currently working on. Note however that you can open several instances of the SeismoStruct and carry out several dynamic analyses simultaneously.
Seismosoft Support
Kirkaguel

Post by Kirkaguel »

Does that mean if I run several instances of same model with different ground motions I can consolidate all responses of different ground motions and post process the result to get the mean response of interest and maybe the mean response plus one standard deviation? That would be great if that is possible in Seismostruct.

That is basically the bottom line of the evaluation process to get the mean response of all candidate ground motions.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Unfortunately, this cannot be done automatically with SeismoStruct.
Seismosoft Support
Kirkaguel

Post by Kirkaguel »

Parallel processing and distributed computing would be huge enhancement in seismostruct if this can be implemented in future release. As we all know nonlinear analysis with large number of ground motions required by guidelines is a time consuming process. Hence, it is really a huge advantage if this capability is implemented.

Here is how Perform 3D is implementing it and it was a major enhancement that was overwhelmingly requested by users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSlKQ3qoiG8
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Thanks for the suggestions Kirkaguel. Note however, that parallel processing in IDA is not easy to implement, because in SeismoStruct IDA has a single output file.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”