How to simulate the soil-structure interaction

03-Analytical/modelling capabilities
langxuzeng

How to simulate the soil-structure interaction

Post by langxuzeng »

Hi everyone,
Iam a new user of SeismoStruct.I found this software is great.But it gave me a hot potato.Recently,I am performing a nonlinear analysis of a simple reinforced concrete frame including the soil-structure interaction.But I really do not know how to account for it by using the link element.Can anybody give me some detailed steps and guidence for this interesting question? Any reply would be greatly appreciated?
Thank you in advance.
seismosoft

Re: How to simulate the soil-structure interaction

Post by seismosoft »

Hi.

Have you tried carrying out a search for the word "soil" in this Forum?

Seismosoft Support
Muntasir

Post by Muntasir »

Hi,
you can definitely model soil structure interaction with seismostruct. You can use spring and dashpot elements for modeling SSI. You can easily model the spring element using appropriately calibrated link element. you can calculate the stiffness of the springs using equations avaiable in literature. You can model the damping element using dashpot using the damping values calculated using available equations. You can also use the SSI_PY link element avaiable in seismostruct for modeling SSI but for that you will need a lot of parameters for modeling the link.
langxuzeng

Post by langxuzeng »

Hi Muntasir,
Thank you very much for your detailed reply.I will try my best to simulate the SSI according to your useful hint.Would you please give me some revelant literatures on this issue? I think your answer would be bebefinal for me to finish my master's thesis.
Thank you in advance.
Best regards.

Sukalyan

Post by Sukalyan »

Can anyone please tell me how to calculate the damping coefficients, C1, C2, C3, C11, C22, C33, CH2M3, CH3M2 of dashpot damping, dashpt.
Thank you in advance.
Best regards.
ruipinho

Post by ruipinho »

Hi langxuzeng,

There are a number of publications that describe how to estimate soil damping coefficients (which can be used to represent both radiation and material/hysteretic damping). The two that come more quickly to my mind are:

- Gazetas, G. [1991] “Foundation vibrations,” Foundation Engineering Handbook, 2nd Ed., Fang, H.Y. (Ed.), pp. 553-593, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, USA.

- Mylonakis, G., Nikolaou, S., Gazetas, G. [2006] “Footings under seismic loading: Analysis and design issues with emphasis on bridge foundations,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 824-853.

You can also refer to this report for an example on how the above publications can be used to compute soil damping coefficients.

Enjoy the studying (SSI is not necessarily a straightforward subject),

Rui
Sukalyan

Post by Sukalyan »

What is the formula to calculate Maximum Gap depth / soil wedge depth corresponding to the failure mechanism (zw) of PILE FOUNDATIONS MACRO-ELEMENT - SSILINK2?
ruipinho

Post by ruipinho »

Sukalyan,

Have you tried downloading the report linked above and searching "zw"?

Rui
Sukalyan

Post by Sukalyan »

Ruipinho, Thanks a lot for your help. The report you linked helped me a lot to fine the radiation dashpot damping coefficients. The coefficients are really explained in details and all necessary formulae are provided there. You really have a great contribution towards completion of my thesis work. I really thank you from bottom of my heart. But unfortunately I could not find maximum Gap depth / soil wedge depth corresponding to the failure mechanism (zw). Your kind help will always be solicited.
Sukalyan

Post by Sukalyan »

Can anyone tell me why is the below statement being displayed in the Analysis Log?
"vertical load on the macro-element is tensile at initial step!"

Return to “03-Analytical/modelling capabilities”