Artificial Accelerogram meeting ASCE4-98 Requirement.

02-Analytical capabilities
mrigendra

Artificial Accelerogram meeting ASCE4-98 Requirement.

Post by mrigendra »

Dear Forum User
Can any of you checked the following ASCE 4-98 Section 2.3 Stipulations regarding Characteristics of Time History.
2.1The Principle Characteristics of this Time History generated will be that out of 3 Time Histories ,2 will be horizontal translational components and one vertical component.(Sec 3.4.2.1 ASCE 4-98).
2.2 The developed T.Hs should have amplitude,duration appropriate to the Magnitude of Ground Motion for this case which was used to develop FLOOR RESPONSE SPECTRUM(FRS).(Table 2.3-1 ASCE 4-98).
2.3 The mean of the Zero period Acceleration(ZPA) values calculated from individual time histories shall equal or exceed the design ground acceleration.
2.4 The Average ratio of mean spectrum calculated from individual time history spectra at structure damping to the Design Spectrum,where the ratios are calculated frequency by frequency ,shall be equal to or greater than 1.0.
2.5 No one point of the mean spectrum (i.e,generated Time History) shall be more than 10% below the Target Spectrum.
2.6 The Average PSD computed from individual T.Histories shall possess adequate power at all frequency range of interests.
2.7 The Input T.Hs in 3 directions shall be Statistically independent so that the absolute value of correlation coefficient shall be less than 0.3.
M N RAY
huffte

Re: Artificial Accelerogram meeting ASCE4-98 Requirement.

Post by huffte »

Hi mrigendra. As far as I can tell, it is currently up to the user to verify that generated accelerograms meet their particular requirements.

For items 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.7, this is easy enough by copying and pasting the data into Excel or a similar program. See the CORREL, MAX, MIN, and AVERAGE functions. Additionally, these items could all be submitted by you in the Future Developments & Requests folder of the SeismoArtif Forum.

Items 2.1, 2.2, and 2.6 are quite subjective, requiring engineering judgment. It would be difficult to codify these requirements in a computer algorithm, but you could ask for it and see what happens.

Best of luck, mrigendra.
Tim Huff
mrigendra

Re: Artificial Accelerogram meeting ASCE4-98 Requirement.

Post by mrigendra »

Thanks Huffte. I knew that few of the clauses can be checked from Spectrum matching diagram but I have to check these clauses with respect to the Target spectra.I will come back after completing the calculation.

Return to “02-Analytical capabilities”