loading spectrum from file

03-Unexpected behaviour/errors
florin

loading spectrum from file

Post by florin »

Hello! I want to load a spectrum from file in SeismoMatch but I keep getting the errors: 'Range check error' or '5% is not a valid floating point value' whatever values I choose for the first line and the last line. Are there some special requirements for the input file?
seismosoft

Re: loading spectrum from file

Post by seismosoft »

Hi Florin,

Yes, you are right, there is indeed a bug in the spectrum file reading facility.

We will try to correct this error and release an updated version of SeismoMatch as soon as possible - we will announce it here, when done.

Thank you for reporting this problem to us.

Seismosoft Support
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

A new version of SeismoMatch has been released, featuring a now working 'load spectrum from file' functionality.

Seismosoft Support
Muntasir

Post by Muntasir »

Hello,
i am trying to convert my acceleration time history to response spectrum. when I try to do this the program says 5% is not a valid floating value. I faced this problem in previous version as well but u told that this is removed in new version.
Can any one suggest me what to do?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Muntasir,

Please send us (support@seismosoft.com) the accelerogram in question, so that we can check things out.

Thanks.

Seismosoft Support
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

We confirm this to be a bug, which we will now try to solve as soon as possible - when the new version becomes available, users will be notified at the start of the program.

In the meantime, and as a workaround, you can use SeismoSignal to compute the response spectrum of the accelerogram in question and then upload such spectrum into SeismoMatch.

Thank you for signaling this problem to us.

Seismosoft Support
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Muntasir (and others),

A new release of SeismoMatch (v1.0.3) is now available at our website, with this bug corrected.

Thanks again for signalling this problem to us.

Seismosoft Support
mwoods

Post by mwoods »

I am using version 1.0.3, yet I still have the same "load spectrum from file" problem already described. When I specify the correct "last line" value (20 in my case), I get "range check error." If I lie and say the last line is 19, the file is properly read but of course I don't get my last spectral ordinate. My file is a simple tab-delimited text file (no header, period in column 1, acceleration in column 2), whose last line is terminated just like all the others (with CR-LF). Note that my spectral increment is not constant. Trying to trick the program to read my last ordinate by adding a dummy extra ordinate at the end does not work and results in the same error.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Dear mwoods,

We cannot replicate the behaviour you describe, using our own response spectra input files, hence can you please send us your file, so that we look into the matter?

Many thanks.

Seismosoft Support
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Dear mwoods,

The origin of the problem you report is the fact that the maximum spectral period defined in the Settings is 4 seconds, whilst you are trying to upload a response spectrum with higher period values.

If you increase the maximum period range (in the Settings menu) you should not experience any problems.

Obviously, in a future release, we will make sure that a more user-friendly handling of this type of situation is introduced in the program.

Thank you for bringing the matter up to our attention.

Seismosoft Support

Return to “03-Unexpected behaviour/errors”