Broad-band Matching behaviour

02-Analytical capabilities
anbarry

Broad-band Matching behaviour

Post by anbarry »

Hi,

I would like to know what should be the more efficient procedure that allows to match a target spectrum on a broad-band range of periods (e.g T=[0 - 3] sec) with the main purpose to alterate the least possibile the resulting time-histories. I do not have to respect a specific tolerance but to match the target-spectrum in the best way possible.

- Have I have to run the spectral-matching procedure a few times (by enlarging the range of periods each time until the target range is reached)?
- What are the parameters to be first relaxed (e.g Tolerance, Min and Max periods,...)

Thanks in advance
ruipinho

Re: Broad-band Matching behaviour

Post by ruipinho »

Hi anbarry,

As you imply in your message, in order to modify as little as possible the original records, you should have a range of periods that is as narrow as possible, and you should have a tolerance that is as large as possible.

The choice on the above "as narrow/large as possible" will depend on the specifics of your application, and hence it will change from case to case.

Best,

Rui
huffte

Re: Broad-band Matching behaviour

Post by huffte »

I would add that you might be well-served by scaling the accelerogram first, using an appropriate scale factor to get as close as possible to the target at your period of interest, and then trying the matching process. Best of luck with your work. I have found that the program works very well. Note also that while a single, matched accelerogram may have isolated areas in which deviation from the target is still significant, a series of 7 or more matched accelerograms will have a mean which can be a very tight fit to the target.
Tim Huff

Return to “02-Analytical capabilities”