Stirrup Spacing for infrmFBPH Beams

02-Getting started with the modelling
Kreggy

Stirrup Spacing for infrmFBPH Beams

Post by Kreggy »

Good day. I am relatively new to using SeismoStruct, and structural modelling altogether, so your help is greatly appreciated.

I would like to ask if it is possible to model the stirrup spacing at different intervals for a infrmFBPH beam? If so, how can I possibly implement this? Within the Building Modeler facility, it seems that the transverse reinforcement that can be modelled should only be located at the start, middle, and end of span only.

Thank you.
z.gronti

Re: Stirrup Spacing for infrmFBPH Beams

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Kreggy,

You may subdivide the element and assign the proper transverse reinforcement.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

You may also use the infrmFB element type, assigning sections with different reinforcement at the different integration sections of the element. Note however that all the sections need to have the same section type and the same dimensions.
Seismosoft Support
Kreggy

Post by Kreggy »

Thank you for answering my query. But I would like to clarify more on the premise of integration sections.

Suppose that I am to model this beam spacing below, and I subdivide it into two sections (left and right). Can you please explain how many integration sections should I create and why?

12mm dia – 1@50mm
12mm dia – 8@175mm
10mm dia – 2@300mm

And does subdividing the beam alter the configuration of longitudinal reinforcements for the left and right half (like the number of bars and sizes at the start, middle, end) that I previously inputted in the Building Modeler?
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Kreggy,

I am afraid that I need further clarifications to be able to help you.

Do you have one beam with different transverse reinforcement at the start section (12mm dia – 1@50mm), middle section (12mm dia – 8@175mm) and end section (10mm dia – 2@300mm)? If this is the case, then you are able to assign different transverse reinforcement in the start, middle and end sections within the Building Modeller.

Generally speaking, when you subdivide an element you should check the new elements.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
Kreggy

Post by Kreggy »

Hello z.gronti

For illustration, this is a sample beam detail that I want to model (https://imgur.com/VpxIntQ). As shown, only the longitudinal reinforcements are specified at the start, middle, and end span, which I already specified in the Building Modeller. However, the transverse reinforcement is not placed exactly at these spans.

With this, how can I approach the creation of multiple integration sections.

Thank you for your time :)
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Kreggy,

The start, middle and end sections available in the beam section within the Building Modeller cover your modelling requirement for different transverse reinforcement at the start, middle and end section. Actually, the beam detail you sent is the typical beam reinforcement, based on which the longitudinal and transverse reinforcement patterns were developed in the Building Modeller.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
Kreggy

Post by Kreggy »

Thank you very much, z.gronti. This really helped a lot.

Lastly, I would just like to clarify a few things. Does this mean I no longer need to create multiple integration sections, and I can opt to use an infrmFBPH? And is it possible to set the transverse reinforcement spacing and length of the start, middle, and end sections within the Building Modeller itself?
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Kreggy,

When you use infrmFBPH element type to model the beam section created within the Building Modeller, the element class that will be automatically created in Seismostruct for this beam element will be with two integration sections, one with the section's properties of the beam's start section, as it was defined in the Building Modeller, and one with the section's properties of the beam's end section, as it was defined in the Building Modeller. That means that the Beam's middle section's reinforcement will not be exported in SeismoStruct. If you need the middle section for your modelling requirements, then you should subdivide the element and assign the proper sections' properties or use the infrmFB element type and assign sections with different reinforcement at the different integration sections of the element as proposed in previous post by seismosoft.

You may set the transverse reinforcement spacing but you are not able to modify the length of the start, middle and end sections. Please refer to the Material Inelasticity topic of SeismoStruct's User Manual and Help System, where you may find information about the location of the integration sections.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”