Expressions for Shear Capacity

02-Getting started with the modelling
psi_14

Expressions for Shear Capacity

Post by psi_14 »

Hello

Concerning the Shear resistance of an element what are the expression used by seismostruct for an eurocode analysis?

EC8-3 have A.12, A.15 and A.16 but if an element, for a SD limit state, doesn't have a deformation failure (chord rotation) and just straight shear failure it could fail for the shear capacity expressed in 6.2.a of EC2, right?

Pedro
Pedro
z.gronti

Re: Expressions for Shear Capacity

Post by z.gronti »

Dear psi_14,

The equations and methodologies defined in EC8-Part 3 are applied in SeismoStruct.

I didn't find anything in EC8-Part 3 about using the equation 6.2a of EC2 in shear capacity calculations. Only in the av of the equations of θy. Have you found anything relative in EC8-Part3?
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
psi_14

Post by psi_14 »

No, I didn't find anything about 6.2a (EC2) in EC8-3. But I've read from some sources (don't know their true reliability) that the equation 6.2a (EC2) is the one we should use if an element fails to shear capacity before chord rotation...

Generally the shear capacity failing happens after chord rotation in more modern buildings but in older ones the opposite happens a lot and so I got this doubt about what expression seismostruct uses when shear capacity failing happens first.

Thanks for the help
Pedro
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear psi_14,

As I already informed you, SeismoStruct applies the equations and methodology written in EC8-Part 3 for the Code-based checks according to Eurocode. Since such a check is not described in EC8-Part 3, then it is not applied in SeismoStruct. You may find detailed description on the equations used in SeismoStruct in its User Manual and Help System.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”