RC Ring Beam

02-Getting started with the modelling
DanThomas

RC Ring Beam

Post by DanThomas »

Hi,

I am trying to analyse the benefit of an RC ring beam on a single storey masonry building using a static pushover analysis. I have created both models separately but I am getting a better performance on the model without the ring beam which goes against what I was expecting. Is there a common error that i may have mad with my model to achieve this result?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
seismosoft

Re: RC Ring Beam

Post by seismosoft »

No it is not a common error. it seems that this may be an issue with the modelling of the building. You can download and check the modelling of the masonry building in our models' database from our website: https://seismosoft.com/seismobuild-seis ... le-models/
Seismosoft Support
DanThomas

Post by DanThomas »

Thanks for getting back to me, just a few further questions,

1) Is there an example model available where a RC ring beam has been utilised? Just so I can see how they have been connected.

2) I have tried to copy the examples provided by applying rigid diaphragms and rigid link between all roof level nodes, could it possibly be the case that with these applied it is the restraints that are fulfilling the work of an RC ring beam and as such the RC beam just becomes added weight?

Thanks you!!
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

1) The only available files are those displayed on the webpage
2) I am not very familiar with the details of the model, but it seems reasonable that indeed all the rigid links provide the effect of the ring beam, but for its dead load.
Seismosoft Support
DanThomas

Post by DanThomas »

Following on from 2) do you think it would be reasonable to modify the rigidity of the diaphragm/ links by changing the penalty function setting?
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Indeed, the value of the expoenent of the penalty functions affects both rigid links and rigid diaphragms, but it does not affect the rigidity of the frame element offsets, which assume full rigidity.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”