Displacement output

02-Getting started with the modelling
Aslinn

Displacement output

Post by Aslinn »

Hi Seismosoft team,
EC8 gives procedure to transform an MDOF to an equivalent SDOF system. Could you please confirm if the displacement output of a pushover analysis is the SDOF system displacement or MDOF system displacement? Ie, do I need to transform it again following EC8 procedure?
Thanks!
Aslinn
z.gronti

Re: Displacement output

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Aslinn,

It is the final displacement of your model, i.e. the MDOF system displacement, according to the procedure described in EC8.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
Aslinn

Post by Aslinn »

Hi Zoe,
Thank you for confirming that. May I also ask if the Fy and Dy are based on MDOF or SDOF? It seems according to EC8, Fy and Dy are determined based on SDOF...so it's a bit confusing...
Best Regards,
Aslinn
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Aslinn,

According to the EC8, the Fy and dy refer to the MDOF(corrected). The method described in EC8 is employed in the program. You may refer to the corresponding topic in SeismoStruct's User Manual for more information.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

z.gronti wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 10:19 Dear Aslinn,

According to the EC8, the Fy and dy refer to the SDOF. The method described in EC8 is employed in the program. You may refer to the corresponding topic in SeismoStruct's User Manual for more information.
Hi Zoi, I was reading this thread and got a bit confused. Could you please point out which results in the output refer to MDOF? Under Target Displacement tab, there is Idealized Curve, Linearization Data and Target Displacement, which one refers to MDOF? Is the capacity curve in MDOF or SDOF? Thanks
z.gronti

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Murhpy,

The values shown in the Target Displacement module is the MDOF's values, i.e. of the real structural model. I corrected my previous post to avoid further misunderstandings.

For a better understanding of the whole process, please refer to the Target Displacement section of SeismoStruct's User Manual.
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

z.gronti wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 10:18 Dear Murhpy,

The values shown in the Target Displacement module is the MDOF's values, i.e. of the real structural model. I corrected my previous post to avoid further misunderstandings.

For a better understanding of the whole process, please refer to the Target Displacement section of SeismoStruct's User Manual.
That's all clear. Thank you for the clarification. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :)

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”