element classes

02-Getting started with the modelling
abbasrouhi

element classes

Post by abbasrouhi »

hi
I'm modelling an EBF frame using seismostruct but I'm not sure about choosing the most appropriate element class for each member and unfortunately I couldn't find an exact suggestion in user manual, now I'm looking for somebody who can help me or a verified model file in which i can see the modelling details. I will be so glad if you could help me.
seismosoft

Re: element classes

Post by seismosoft »

The standard frame element of SeismoStruct is the inelastic force-based plastic hinge element, infrmFBPH. Probably this is all what you will need. Note that if you expect plastic hinges in the middle of the elements (probably not the case in EBFs) you might want to use infrmFB. Furthermore, in the case of short elements, you could use infrmDB for increased stability.
In the verification report examples included in the installation you will be able to find modeled a couple of large steel buildings. Furthermore, you might want to have a look at the models database on our website: https://seismosoft.com/sample-download

Seismosoft Support
huffte

Post by huffte »

Hi abbasrouhi. I will also add that, if you are employing short links (a.k.a. shear links) in the EBF, you may need to add 'link' type elements at each end of the EBF link. I am not sure that the inelastic force-based plastic hinge will pick up shear yielding, which is the failure mode for short links (the EBF link yields in shear prior to yielding in flexure).
Tim Huff
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Thanks Tim!
fyu25

Post by fyu25 »

Hi abbasrouhi,

I am also modelling an EBF in Seismostruct. If you don't mind me asking, what are the element types you have used for beams and columns? Have you succeed in modelling EBF in your case? If so, would you mind to share a bit advice on how to make that work : )?

Many thanks,

Frank
huffte

Post by huffte »

1. Inelastic frame force-based elements
2. Bi-linear links element with shear direction yield set to VP of the EBF-Link section at each end of EBF-Link; all other directions set to a value large enough that yield in that direction is never reached.

This is what I plan to try. I have tried with the bilinear link in the midspan of the EBF-Link, but I don't think that will work quite as well as the suggestion above.

Also, the EBF-Lin may need to be inelastic frame displacement-based, but I am going to test both types.
Tim Huff

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”