fiber section

02-Getting started with the modelling
meftikal

fiber section

Post by meftikal »

Hi,

I'm currently using fiber sections in Seismostruct and I would like to know what
fiber orientation the program assumes.
Does it assume a single fiber orientation (longitudinal only) or fibers section
oriented in both directions (longitudinal and transversal)?
If seismostruct uses a distibution in both direction, how many patchs does it
use in each direction?

Thank's
ricardomonteiro

Re: fiber section

Post by ricardomonteiro »

Hi meftikal!

As you can read in the 'Material inelasticity' section of the help system, in SeismoStruct, use is made of the so-called fibre approach to represent the cross-section behaviour, where each fibre is associated with a uniaxial stress-strain relationship. In the picture is also quite understandable that longitudinal fibres are assumed.

In any case, I wonder what do you mean by transversal-oriented fibre sections. Could you be more specific?

Ricardo
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Meftikal,

As Ricardo notes in his response, by definition, in flexural fibre beam-column elements longitudinal fibres are used. Hence, your query on "transverse fibres" is a bit difficult to understand.

If your question relates instead to the way in which the software discretises the section into fibres, i.e. the number of vertical and horizontal subdivisions of the section (or, in other words, the sectional dimensions of each fibre), then we note that the program uses one fibre per each rebar defined by the user, and then uses the remaining (e.g. 300 - number of rebars) to discretise the section into square fibres.

In future versions of the software, we plan to explicitly provide the user with a visualisation of the automatic fibre discretisation carried out by the software, giving also the possibility for a different sectional subdivision to be defined the user.

Seismosoft Support
hrmarin

Post by hrmarin »

Hi,
I would like to have further information about the fibre beam-column modelling.
Does anybody have a book or papers about it?
Best regards,
ricardomonteiro

Post by ricardomonteiro »

Hi Humberto!

Have you tried the several papers that are mentioned within the SeismoStruct help system?
In 'Theoretical background and modelling assumptions -> Material inelasticity' section you can find all the relevant references to the fibre modelling implemented in SeismoStruct.

Ricardo
moein_m

Post by moein_m »

ricardomonteiro wrote: 27 Oct 2010, 00:46 Hi meftikal!

As you can read in the 'Material inelasticity' section of the help system, in SeismoStruct, use is made of the so-called fibre approach to represent the cross-section behaviour, where each fibre is associated with a uniaxial stress-strain relationship. In the picture is also quite understandable that longitudinal fibres are assumed.

In any case, I wonder what do you mean by transversal-oriented fibre sections. Could you be more specific?

Ricardo
This is a very old post. However, since I am also interested in the same question question, I am going to expound upon the original query posted by meftikal.

What meftikal wanted to get across is that a software like OpenSees offers facilities to discretize an element in two directions. The picture below serves to illustrate this point:

As you can see, OpenSees has discretized the section along the circumferential and radial directions.

SeismoStruct, by contrast, discretizes the same section in only one direction:

Question: Can SeismoStruct discretize a section in the same way? If not, would a future release feature such capability?

Thank you.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Unfortunately the discretisation in SeismoStruct is only in one direction for the hollow circular section.
Thank you for your suggestion. We will keep a note about it and possibly implement it in a future release of the program.
Seismosoft Support
moein_m

Post by moein_m »

seismosoft wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 17:03 Unfortunately the discretisation in SeismoStruct is only in one direction for the hollow circular section.
Thank you for your suggestion. We will keep a note about it and possibly implement it in a future release of the program.
Seismosoft Support
Thank you for your response.
moein_m

Post by moein_m »

seismosoft wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 17:03 Unfortunately the discretisation in SeismoStruct is only in one direction for the hollow circular section.
Seismosoft Support
Dear Seismosoft team,

I just found out that the latest release of SeismoStruct is capable of meshing the hollow circular section in two directions! I'm extremely happy that you listened to the suggestion and I would like to tender my heartfelt and sincere gratitude.

Keep up the amazing work.

Yours very sincerely,

Moein
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Thank you for the kind words.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”