How to model waffle slabs.

02-Getting started with the modelling
Peit

How to model waffle slabs.

Post by Peit »

Hello, first excuse my basic English. I am an ingenieria master student. I am trying to model a building to run an eigenvalues and a time history analysis. The building is formed with concrete columns and waffle slabs. The problem is I don't now how to model this building. Which is the best way to model a beamless slab?
Thank you.
huffte

Re: How to model waffle slabs.

Post by huffte »

Perhaps a column model with diaphragm constraints at the floor levels? An additional node at the center of mass of each floor could serve as the master for each floor. It might also be reasonable to model a certain width of slab as an edge beam in addition to the columns. Just some thoughts of how I might approach this if I were to take such a task on. Best of luck, Peit. And let us in the forum know of any findings which might help others trying to do similar models.
Tim Huff
ruipinho

Re: How to model waffle slabs.

Post by ruipinho »

Peit,

This response probably comes too late, but let me in any case suggest the work of A. Benavent on modelling of waffle slabs in seismic regions (including comparisons with experimental tests).

You may find his papers by e.g. carring out a search in Google Scholar (using "Benavent waffle slabs" as search string).

Best,

Rui

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”