Soil structure interacction

02-Getting started with the modelling
asabay

Soil structure interacction

Post by asabay »

Hi
I am modeling a bridge column and I need to know how I can simulate a coil spring in seismostruct?

Thanks
huffte

Re: Soil structure interacction

Post by huffte »

A forum search on 'soil structure interaction' should get you started nicely, asabay.
Tim Huff
asabay

Post by asabay »

Oh thanks huffe , the subject does not appear in the forum.

Greetings from Mexico City
huffte

Post by huffte »

I'm getting lots of hits when I do the search, asabay. Not sure what happened on your search, but I get good hits as noted below. How did you perform the search?

Step 1. Select Topic 02-Getting Started with the modelling under SesmoStruct
Step 2. In the upper right hand portion of the screen, you will observe a box entitled 'Search this Forum'
Step 3. Enter soil structure interaction in the box and hit enter.
Step 4. Do the same after selecting Topic 03.

Note that you have to go to each topic and do the search and that you should not include quotes in the search.

If you try again, it may help you in the future. Best of luck.
Tim Huff
gkcve

Post by gkcve »

Hello Everyone.

I have a question regarding the natural period increase when accounting for Soil-Structure-Interaction (SSI).

I have modelled the soil with nonlinear springs by adapting the Ramberg-Osgood model to my G-γ-D curve. Previously, I used linear springs to simulate the soil. Now, I am trying to compare the differences between the two simulations and I have observed different increase of the fundamental period with SSI for the two models compared with the natural period in fixed base case.

Could you please tell me whether this is caused due to the fact that Seismostruct considers different initial stiffness for the linear and nonlinear springs e.g. for the nonlinear might take the secand instead of tangent.

Many thanks.

George

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”