Cyclic loading on column

02-Getting started with the modelling
Chami

Cyclic loading on column

Post by Chami »

Hi every body,
I am new in this forum and in using the software SeismoStruct, I'd like to know how can I apply the lateral cyclic loading on a RC column.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards.
huffte

Re: Cyclic loading on column

Post by huffte »

Hi Chami. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can certainly model cyclic loading on RC structures with SeismoStruct. A brief description of capabilities may be found here:

http://www.seismosoft.com/en/SeismoStruct.aspx

Your desired loading may be defined in a text file of the time history. And your elements would be inelastic frame members (either displacement-based or force-based). The fiber-based approach means you won't have to come up with moment-curvature relationships or biaxial interaction relationships on your own - they are incorporated in the analysis.

And as described in the link below, SeismoStruct has won awards for such:

http://www.seismosoft.com/en/News_Detai ... ID_News=44

As a current practicing engineer who learned to use the SeismoSoft suite of programs in my doctoral work, I can highly recommend all of the programs - SeismoSignal, SeismoMatch, SeismoArtif, SeismoSpect, and SeismoStruct.
Tim Huff
Chami

Post by Chami »

Hi Huffte,
Thank you for the reply.
I ask you kndly to send me an example of lateral cyclic loading of a RC structure.

Best regards.
huffte

Post by huffte »

Chami,

Why don't you create your own? You can do it in a matter of seconds using the Wizard and you will learn much more in the process of doing so.

1. Start SeismoStruct.

2. Select File->Wizard from the menu.

3. In the ensuing dialogue specify the number of bays, stories, and frames you wish to model (perhaps you should change the number of bays and stories to 1 so that you start with as simple a model as possible).

4. Specify Reinforced Concrete Structure and Dynamic Time History Analysis.

5. You will be asked for an input time history loading. SeismoStruct includes a number of accelerograms from which you may choose until you build your own library of accelerograms. Choose, for example:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SeismoSoft\SeismoStruct\Accelerograms\ChiChi.dat after changing the first line to 6 and the last line to 5284 in the ensuing dialogue.

6. You'll now be able to perform the analysis. If no yielding occurs in the ensuing model, simply increase the load factor on the applied loading until you get yielding so you can see the capabilities of the post-processor.

You will be much better served if you go through this process than if you simply try to learn SeismoSoft by someone else's input file Chami.

Best of luck.
Tim Huff
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

In addition to the good, thorough and patient advice of huffte, we would also note that in the Verification Report folder, you may find cyclic loading models (e.g. Ch4-steel-01), which you may thus use as guidance.

Seismosoft Support
simtes2009@gmail.com

Post by simtes2009@gmail.com »

Please, kindly request if I can get an example of the cyclic loading model of columns in seismostruct.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Have a look at the examples of the SeismoStruct Verification Report. All the examples are included in the installation of the program
Seismosoft Support

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”