Define yielded rebar in materials

02-Getting started with the modelling
Mohammad_Vali

Define yielded rebar in materials

Post by Mohammad_Vali »

Dear Sir/Mad
Hello
I want to define yielded steel as a material (because of modelling RC Frame with yielded rebar), how can i define it? in other words wich is the best way to define and model yielded rebar?
Thanks a lot
z.gronti

Re: Define yielded rebar in materials

Post by z.gronti »

Dear Mohammad_Vali,

I am not sure that I understand what you want to model. The steel rebars yield when their yielding strain is reached. What do you mean by model yielded rebar?
Zoi Gronti
Seismosoft Srl.
Mohammad_Vali

Post by Mohammad_Vali »

Dear Zoi Gronti
I mean the definition of a steel that has reached its yield strength due to previous loading and has no tensile strength, I want to define and model this low-strength steel and do the analysis again and compare the results with the first analysis
huffte

Post by huffte »

I think more clarification is needed Mohammad_Vali. A yielded rebar still has tensile strength. If it has no tensile strength (presumably, has fractured) then it would not be in the model anyway.
Tim Huff
Mohammad_Vali

Post by Mohammad_Vali »

Dear Zoi Gronti
yes you are right,please help me to define a steel material that has reached to yielding strain and has low tensile strenght.
For modeling low-strength steel that has reached the yield point, I did a method in which I reduced the elastic modulus of the steel from 200GPA to 0.1GPA , but the time history analysis is not complete and gives an error (fbd-tol & ...), so I ask you for a better way.
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Mohammad_Vali,
It is not clear what you are trying to do. Note that any model has no loads at first (i.e. before applying the loading), and even if it has a very low tensile strength or modulus of elasticity it cannot be yielded by default.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “02-Getting started with the modelling”