I have a question in using seismostruct modeling

05-Future developments & requests
arrow66

I have a question in using seismostruct modeling

Post by arrow66 »

Dear seismosoft, when I creat a factory model, I have a question about node constraint type when using columns or beams element subdivision, I want to know how to judge initial node constraint in seismostruct defaults, if think as hinge node that means every nodes must be link as steel truss structures mode, that is unreasonable for buildings'columns or beams modeling, If think as consolidation node that mean constaint all 6 direction, that is also unreasonable when subdivision steel element, so how to accurately think 'constraint' function in seismostruct product in RC and steel modeling process, Thanks
seismosoft

Re: I have a question in using seismostruct modeling

Post by seismosoft »

Hello arrow66,
Unfortunately it is not clear what you are asking for (e.g. it is not clear how the element subdivision is related to the nodal constraints).
Note that you can get a detailed description on the 3 constraint types in SeismoStruct in the manual or the help of the program
Seismosoft Support
arrow66

Post by arrow66 »

Hello seismo support, I mainly want to know whether the node connecting two elements in the program should be regarded as a hinge point or a consolidation point for default.or How do the program consider the node degrees of freedom for different structures such as reinforced concrete frame structures or steel truss structure ?Thanks
huffte

Post by huffte »

Nodes have 6 degrees of freedom. 3 translations and 3 rotations relative to global axes. The default condition is no restraint, which can be altered through the 'restraints' tab in the pre-processor. Member ends at a joint are, by default, fixed and may carry axial load, shear in two directions, torsion, and moments about two axes - all relative to the local axis system for the member. These may be altered through the 'member release' feature when defining the element. It is not clear what you mean by a 'consolidation point'. But I hope my remarks will be helpful.
Tim Huff
seismosoft

Post by seismosoft »

Frame elements without releases provide connection in all 6 DOFs at the end nodes. On the contrary, truss elements have hinges at their ends.
Seismosoft Support

Return to “05-Future developments & requests”